Shankranthi is a Harvest Festival in some places and Sun is moving from Dakshinayana to Uttarayana.. A special occasion to celebrate. Yellu Bella Tindu olle Matadu ..this is kannada saying. People in Karnataka have a tradition..they mix up roasted jingly seeds with roasted ground nuts adding jagary and dried coconut. (Both cut in to small pieces) This specialy made eatable is served to all houses nearby and near ones and dear ones.
This tradition brings up a good harmony in the area around...live happily with oneness.
Rice: 1/2 cup.
Moong Dal 1/2 cup
jagary: ( Bella in Kannada): 1 cup
Ghee : 2 to 3 Table spoon
Cashew nuts : 4 to 6 ( cut in to small)
Cardamum: 2 to 3 seeds
1. Wash rice and moong dal and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Leave it for cooling. Powder cardamum and keep it aside.
2.Keep a big pan on the fire and heat.
3. Put a spoon of ghee and heat. Fry cashew nuts in that ghee till they are brown. Remove them from the pan.
4. Now put jaggery in that pan and put cooked rice and moong dal.
5. Stir until water disappears. Add cashew nuts cardamum and ghee.
6. Cook until it mixes with jaggery and put some ghee and fried cashew nuts
7. Shift the ready pongal to the serving bowl.
8.Serve this sweet pongal during the lunch or dinner.
Cook on slow fire. You can add coconut if you like. Add coconut just before serving.
Time : 30 minutes.
Serving: 3 to 4