I just tried this sandwich and it came out very well. So here is the recipe. This sandwich makes a good snack in the evening and filling too. You can say that it is a just twist of Indian bakery style sandwich but with loads of vegetables in a healthy manner. You can pack this sandwich for kids for their snack box. You can also have this sandwich for your ladies kitty party, a small tea party etc.
Here is a recipe that how i have done this.
No onion or garlic is used in this Indian Style Baguette Sandwich.
Things Needed :\
Baguette bread : 1
For Topping :
Carrots : 2
Beetroot : 1
Boiled Potatoes : 3 to 4
Pomegranates : 5 to 6 Tablespoons
Groundnuts : Dry roasted : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Coriander leaves : 1/2 Bundle
Green chilly : 1 to 2
Lemon : 1
Dry ginger powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Garam Masala : 1/2 Teaspoon
Pav bhaji Masala : 1/2 Teaspoon
Turmeric powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera/ Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Cooking Oil : 2 Tablespoons
Ghee/ Butter : 2 to 3 Tablespoons.
Method :1. Wash and boil potatoes and remove its skin. Smash it nicely and keep it aside.
2. Wash and grate carrots and beetroot. Keep some carrots gratings separately in a cup.
3. Wash and cut chilly, coriander leaves and keep it aside. Cut lemon and squeeze out the juice and keep it aside.
4. Remove the pods from pomegranates and keep it aside.
5. Dry roast groundnuts and remove its husk and keep it aside. (Divide the pods in to two)
6. Keep a pan and heat. Add jeera and let it turn slightly golden brown.
7. Add carrot, beetroot gratings and cut green chilly. Mix it well and stir.
8. Let it turn soft. Add smashed potatoes and mix it well. Stir continuously on slow flame.
9. Add garam masala and pav baaji masala powder. Add dry ginger and turmeric powder.
10. Mix all the ingredients nicely and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. Add coriander leaves and lemon extract . Put off the fire.
12. Shift the curry to a serving bowl.
Now get ready for bread slices topping Roasting /Shallow Frying
1.. Cut Baguette in to small pieces.Arrange them in a tray or plate.
2. Top up Baguette pieces with ready vegetable mix. Press it slightly on the top.
3. Keep a tava /pan on the fire and heat. Put a teaspoon of ghee/butter.
4. Put the vegetable topped Baguette on the tava. Put the slice upside down.
5. Let it fry or dry roast nicely on low flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Now turn the other side and cook for a minute.
6. Remove it from the pan and keep it on a plate. Repeat the same with remaining Baguette pieces.
Topping up with Groundnuts and Pomegranates.
1. Keep a shallow fried bread slice in the serving plate.
2. Top up with pomegranate pods and spread groundnuts generously.
3. Sprinkle with chat masala or with jeera powder (Optional) and carrot gratings.
4. Eat or serve as a snack whenever you want. We had it in the evening.
Note :Adding any vegetable to top up is your choice. Adding onion or garlic to the curry is optional. Use of oil to shallow fry is optional. I have used very little ghee to Roast the baguette pieces. (toasting).
Adding any brand of spice is optional. I have used MTR Spices because it is mild and tasty too.
Preparation time : Altogether : 40 Minutes
Serves : 4 to 5 (Depending on the topping you use).
|MTR Spices that I have used in this recipe.|
|Bread that I have used in this recipe|