This particular dish is prepared using a type of brinjal. The long brinjals are good for preparing Vanghi baath. We can prepare vanghibath with rice/rava/broken wheat/Vermicelli (Semiya/Shavige) etc.
Here I have used Rava as main ingredient and the spices are freshly roasted and dry ground.
Lets see some benefits of having "Brinjals" in our diet.
Eggplant is very low in calories and fats. It is rich in fiber content. It is good very good for controlling high blood cholesterol. Brinjal has rich source of anti oxidants and good for inflammation and neurological disease. Eggplant is one of the low glycemic index vegetable. It contain good amount of essential B -complex group of vitamins. It also contain minerals like manganese, copper, iron and potassium.
No onion or garlic is used in this Spicy Rava Vaanghi baat.
Lets see the recipe now :
Things Needed :Rava/Samolina : 2 Cups (Medium size)
Brinjal/Eggplants : 4 to 5
Green Chilly :2
Masala Powder : 2 Tablespoon
Salt : to taste
Oil : 1/4 cup
Ghee : 2 to 3 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urd daal : 1/2 teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 2 to 3 sticks
Coconut : 3 to 4 Tablespoons.
Cashew nuts : 2 Tablespoons
Lemon juice " 1 Teaspoon (1/2 of one lemon)
Water : 4 Cups
Method :1. Wash and cut brinjals and put in a bowl of water.
2. Wash and cut green chilly and coriander leaves and keep it aside.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add 2 tablespoons of oil. Let it heat.
5. Add mustard seeds, urid dal. Let the mustard seeds splutter. Add cut green chilly and curry leaves.
6. Fry for 10 seconds. Add cashew nuts. Let it turn golden brown.
7. Wash brinjals and squeeze out the water and add brinjal pieces to the seasoning and fry.
8. Add a pinch of turmeric powder and cook on low flame till it turns soft. (Stir inbetween). Add salt.
9. Now dry roast Rava till the raw smell goes off. (2 to 3 minutes).
11. Let rava be roasted nicely.
12. Add boiling water and mix it well.
13.Add cooked brinjal to rava mixture.
14.. Stir nicely and Let it be on low flame. Add coconut, fresh ghee and mix it well. Add ground spice powder. Add required salt.
16. Add a spoon of ghee/coconut oil on the top and put curry leaves.
17. Rava Vanghi baath is ready to serve.
Note :Rava/Semolina should be roasted well. Dry brinjal curry can be prepared and then added to the rava mixture. (Optional). Adding more spice is optional. Adding little ghee adds to the taste.
Time : 25 to 30 minutes.
Serves: 2 to 3.
Things Needed for Vanghibaath Masaala powder :
Channa Daal : 2 table spoon
Urd Daal : 2 table spoon
Red chillies : 6 to 8
Coriander seeds : 1 Table spoon
Cloves : 3 to 4
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Asafotodia : a pinch
Coconut : 2 Table spoon
Roast all the ingredients one by one till golden brown , add coconut and dry grind to get masaala powder.