I have used wheat flour and maida for the outer layer and coconut jaggery, poppy seeds and avalakki for sweet stuffing.
Let us see some benefits of eating jaggery in our diet.
Jaggery is a good digestive agent and it helps to cleanse our body. It sweetens our food in healthy way. It is loaded with minerals. It helps to get relief from constipation problems. It boost energy.
Lets see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :For outer layer :
Wheat flour : 2 Cups
Maida /All purpose flour : 1/2 Cup
Oil : 2 Tablespoons
Salt : A pinch
For stuffing :
Coconut : 1
Cardamom : 5 to 6 seeds ( Powdered )
Thin Avalakki /Poha : 1 Cup
Poppy Seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Cooking Oil : 2 Tablespoons (Optional)
Method :1. Put wheat flour and maida in a bowl. Mix it well.
2. Add required water and prepare chapati dough. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and mix it well.
3. Now add another tablespoon of oil on the top of the dough and let it rest for 2 to 3 hours.
4. Grate coconut and dry grind it with cardamom seeds.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and add jaggery. Let it melt. Add dry ground coconut. Mix it well.
7. When it gets slightly thick remove it from the pan. ( The mixture should be thick not watery).
8. Let it get cooled.
9. Now take the dough you have already prepared. Kneed the dough nicely and divide into small portions.
10. Divide the sweet stuff also into small portions.
11. Take a small portion of chapati dough. Spread it on your palm.
12. Place 1 tablespoon of sweet stuff in the middle and close it from all sides.
13. Dip in dry wheat flour and roll as chapati.
15. Put already rolled holige and cook on both sides. Sprinkle oil on the top while cooking.
16. Repeat the same with remaining dough and prepare Yummy Holige.
17. Serve Coconut Holige with a teaspoon of ghee
18. We had a chance to distribute " Coconut Holige " to our relatives.
Time : 40 Minutes to prepare holige + sweet hoorana (sweet stuff) 5 minutes + dough preparing and resting - 2 to 3 hours.
20 Holiges can be prepared. (According to size and shape).