Lets say it is an easy and yummy dish as I said earlier I made it as a healthy holige. I used jaggery and dates instead of sugar, wheat and chiroti rava (thin semolina) and very little of oil.
Lets see the recipe now :
Things Needed :For Stuffing :
Coconut : 2
Dates : 1 Cup
Jaggery :2 to 3 Tablespoons (Grated)
Cardamom : 3 to 4 pods.
Poppy Seeds : 2 Tablespoons
For the outer layer :
Wheat flour : 2 Cups
Chiroti Rava/Thin variety of Semolina : 1/2 Cup
Salt : very little (2 pinch)
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Cooking Oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
1. Take a big bowl. Add wheat flour, turmeric powder and chiroti rava. Mix it well.
2. Add required water and prepare the dough. ( The consistency should be like chapati dough).
3. Add a tablespoon of oil on the top and keep it aside for 2 to 3 hours.
4. Remove seeds from dates. Smash or powder dates.
5. Grate or powder jaggery. Powder cardamom.
6. Grate coconut ( better use dried coconut/Copra). Powder it in mixi jar.
8. Keep this mixed jaggery content on the low flame and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Add poppy seeds. Add powdered cardamom.
9. Let it mix it well. Remove from the pan and mix it well using your fingers.
10. Divide this mixture into small balls.
11. Now take the chapati dough and mix it well and divide this also into small ball size.
12. Keep little dry wheat flour in a bowl.
13. Take a small portion of chapati dough and spread it on your pal.
14. Place a portion of sweet dates coconut hoorana. Cover it nicely.
15. Press it slightly and dip in dry wheat flour and roll is slowly into circle shape.
17. You can sprinkle oil if you want. Holige is ready to eat.
18. Serve Holige with a spoon of fresh ghee on the top.
Note :You can add more oil while preparing chapati dough. ( We have not used). You can also use sugar instead of jaggery and dated. Let the dates smashed well or you find it difficult to roll holige.
You can also use maida instead of wheat flour. (Optional). Use of wheat flour is a healthy optional. No need to stir coconut and other ingredients for a long time . Just 2 to 3 minutes will do.
Time : Dough Resting time : 2 houes+ The whole process - 30 to 40 minutes.
Serves : 4 to 5