Jaggey is added to turn the batter sweet. So that sweet aroma and crave for sweets can be satisfied with this dish.
We from South Canara are bit sweet tooth people. Most of the snacks and breakfast dishes are added with sweet mostly jaggery. We do use many vegetables in idli/kadabu/kadubu.
Here is one such traditional dish that is Sweet Pumpkin Kadabu/Kadubu/Idli.
I have used idli plates to prepare the dish and you can cook them in a round /any shape bowl/plate.
I have used idli rava, coconut, pumpkin and jaggery.
Sweet Pumpkin kadabu is good for breakfast, snack, kids snackbox or even for dinner. As I said it is very easy to prepare and healthy to eat.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things needed:Idli Rava/Raw rice rava : 2 Cups
Coconut : 1/2 Cup
Grated Pumpkin : 1 Bow; (1/4 of the medium sized pumpkin).
Salt : A little
Jaggery : 1 /2 Cup ( Powdered ).
Black Pepper : 4 to 6 pods.
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Dry Ginger Powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Method:1. Wash and remove the thick part ( outer layer ) of pumpkin. Scrape out the inner pulp and seeds.
2. Grate pumpkin and coconut. Keep them aside.
3. Wash idli rava and put it in a bog bowl. Add salt, curmin seeds,dry ginger powder and crushed black pepper.
4. Add powdered jaggery, grated pumpkin and grated coconut. Mix it well with pumpkin gratings.
5. Add salt and mix all the ingredients well. Add water if required.
6. Leave the batter for 10 minutes.
7. Apply little oil /ghee to all the idli plates.
8. Pour a ladle (small) of sweet idli batter to each plate. ( Each idli mould).
9. Keep a cooker /idli steamer on the fire and put some water in it. Let the water get heated.
10.Keep idli batter filled idli plates in the cooker and cover.
11. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or little more. (Another 5 minutes).
12. Remove the cooker cover and slowly take out the idli from the idli plate.
13. Sweet Pumpkin Kadubu/idli is ready to serve
14. Serve with any side dish you have prepared and some ghee on the top of hot sweet idlis.
15. You can enjoy eating these idli with fresh ghee and pickle. (My favourite).
Note :We can use banana leaf, jack fruit tree leaf /turmeric leaf to cook these idli/Kadubu. I used idli plates to prepare. You can also use pressure cooker container to cook these idlis. Adding more grated pumpkin is optional. Use of more/less jaggery is optional. Use of dry ginger is optional. I have used pepper corns, dry ginger powder and jeera because Pumpkin is said to be contains lots of gas./Vaayu.
So using these above ingredients helps to take care.
Preparation time : 10 Minutes + Allow the batter to rest 10 Minutes + cooking time 10 minutes.
Total Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 5 to 6 ( Maximum 20 idli can be done).