I Have used watermelon rind(the white part), jaggery and coconut with very little spice. This curry goes well with plain rice, chapatis, poori, dosa and any type of roti.
Watermelon sweet curry has no onion or no garlic.
Things Needed:To Cook :
Watermelon Rind : 2 Cups.
Coconut: 1/2 cup. ( Fresh grated)
RawRice : 1 Tea spoon
To Add :
Jaggery : 2 Table spoons.
Salt :To taste ( according to your taste).
Ground coconut mixture
Turmeric powder : a pinch.
For Seasoning :
Ghee : 1 Table spoon.
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 Tea spoon
Urd Daal: 1/2 Tea spoon.
Curry Leaves: 6 to 8
Red chillies : 2 to 3
Method :1. Wash and remove the outer layer of green part from the rind.
2. Cut the rind into thin pieces. Soak a teaspoon of raw rice in little water. Keep it aside.
3. Put them in the container pressure cook with very little water for 5 to 6 minutes. Let it cool.
4. Grate coconut and grind it with a spoon of raw rice/rice powder with very little water.
5. Now keep a big bowl and put cooked watermelon rind pieces. Add jaggery and salt.
6. Add Turmeric powder. Add ground coconut mixture. Mix it well and let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Shift the curry to a serving dish.
9. Add red chilly and curry leaves and fry for 10 seconds. Put this mixture to the ready curry.
10. Serve with the main dish you have prepared. (Plain rice, chapati, poori, dosa, idli etc).
Note :The vegetable should be cooked well and it should be soft. Use of raw rice helps to bind the curry well once it is done. Adding jaggery is optional. More/Less. Using ghee to seasoning adds to teh taste. Must stir in between while the curry is boiling. Cook the vegetable until soft. Stir nicely while its boiling.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.