When you feel like having something different, healthy and energetic you can think of making this Beetroot Rasam.
It is easy to prepare as I always say about my recipes are easy. It is healthy I can say since beetroot contain many many healthy qualities.I have used very little toor dal which is protein content. Spices are usually at home and M. T. R. or Mayya's Rasam powder is best to use to get good aroma and proper rasam taste.
Lets see some benefits of having Beetroot in our diet:
Beetroot decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart diseases. It also helps to promote a healthy complexion and hair. It helps in providing good energy. Beetroot helps to maintain the blood pressure and good for digestion. It helps to control the blood sugar level and good for anemia. It reduces the bad cholesterol. It is high in soluble fiber and eases the constipation problems. It also helps to boost brain power. Beetroots contain potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron, vitamins A, B, C, beta carotene, beta cyanine, folic acid. They are a wonderful tonic for the liver and works as a purifier for the blood.
Things Needed :To Cook :
Beetroot : 1
Toor Dal : 2 Tablespoons
To : Grind :
Rasam Powder : 2 Tablespoons
Ingh : a little
Water : 2 to 3 Cups
Mustard seeds and Urid dal Seasing : 1 Teaspoon oil or ghee, mustard seeds, urid dal (1/2 Teaspoon each), curry leaves and ingh
Coriander leaves " 2 Tablespoon
Curry leaves : 6 to 8 (to the seasoning)
Ingh : a pinch
Turmeric powder : a little (1/4 Teaspoon)
Tamarind pulp : a small marble size tamarind
Salt : as required
Methi seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Green chilly : 1
Method :1. Wash and pressure cook, toor dal and beetroot with its skin for 6 to 8 minutes.(Keep beetroot separately in a bowl). Leave it for cooling.
2. Soak tamarind in hot water and squeeze out the pulp and keep it aside.
3. Remove the outer layer of beetroot (like potato skin), and cut it in to small pieces.
4. Now grind beet pieces with rasam powder and remove from the mixi jar.
5. Take a big pan and add cooked toor dal (just mash it a little before adding water), ground beetroot mixture, tamarind pulp.
6. Add 2 to 3 cups of water and salt. Add, Cut green chilly, methi seeds and turmeric powder. Mix it well and bring it to boil.
7. Add muster-urid dal, curry leaves and ingh seasoning with ghee or oil. Shift the Beetroot rasam to a serving dish.
8. Add cut coriander leaves and serve Beetroot rasam as soup or with plain rice as one of the side dish.
Home made Rasam Powder recipe :
Roast 1/4 tea spoon of methi, 2 table spoons coriander seeds, 6 to 8 red chillies and 1/2 tea spoon of jeera one by one till brown. Add pinch of ingh and curry leaves and roast . Dry grind when the mixture turns cool.
Serves : 4 to 5
Time : 30 minutes.