Rava idlis were first invented in Bangalore/Karnataka/India from one of the famous Hotel (Even Now) M.T. R. during 2nd World war. It is said that during war time the rice became scarcity and M. T. R, tried the idli, using Rava/Semolina. Thanks to them and it has come long a way and is world wide famous, healthy and yummy.
I have used medium size Rava, curd/yogurt, cooking soda and little salt.
It is very easy and energetic, healthy and keeps you full for a long time.
Let us see the recipe now :
Ingredients :Medium size Rava ( Samolina): 2 cups.
Curd ( Yogurt) 1 Cup.
Green chilly : 2 ( small);
Coriander leaves : 3 Tablespoons.
To Season :
Oil : 1 Teaspoon.
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Urd Dall: 1/2 Tea spoon.
Curry Leaves : One handful.
To Add :
Salt : to taste.
Cooking Soda : 1/2Teaspoon.
Method :1. Wash and cut curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chilly in to small pieces.
2. Keep a pan on the fire and put a teaspoon of oil. Let it heat. Add mustard seeds and urid dal.
3. Let it splutter. Add curry leaves and green chilly. Add rava and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Put off the fire and shift the roasted rava to a plate. Let it cool.
5. Take a big pan and add cooled rava, curd, required water, salt and mix it well.
7. Wash and grease idli plates with ghee or oil.
8. Add cooking soda to ready idli dough and mix it well.
9. Put some water to idli cooker or pressure cooker and keep it on the fire. Let the water boil.
10. Add a small ladle of rava idli dough in greased idli plates.
11. Arrange them and keep it in pressure cooker and close the lid. Do not put weight.
12. Let it cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the lid and take out the idli plates with idlis.
13. Sprinkle some water (normal temperature) on hot idlis and remove it from the plates.
14. Put it in hot box or a bowl. Serve with your choice of side dishes.
Notes:Roast rava on low and medium flame till the raw smell disappear. Let it cool completely to add curd/yogurt. Or rava dough turns as very soft and idli will not taste good. Adding cashews is optional. Adding more green chilly is optional.You can also add grated carrots, capsicum and prepare vegetable idli. Do not add more cooking soda.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4
Type : South Indian style.