Tambuli (in Kannada/Karnataka/India, is prepared using buttermilk which helps to cool our body. Tambuli/Tampina Huli ( gravy that cools and take care of our body), is one of the famous and healthy dish in Udupi/Dakshina Kannada/South Canara and Malanadu. The Sun rays are stronger and the weather here is mostly hot and so eating tambuli in the beginning of the lunch helps and take care of the body naturally. Tambuli can be prepared with many things like, curry leaves, different varieties of edible leaves and other things.
I have used 2 Gooseberry and the spices with little fresh coconut and little curd.
Let us see some benefits of having NelliKai/Gooseberry in our diet.
Nellikai/Gooseberry is also known as Amla in India. It is rich in Vitamin C and helps to balances the food we eat and nourishes the brain and strengthen the lungs. Helps to detoxify our body. It also increases the skin health and very nutritious for hair. It acts as an antioxidant and strengthen our eyes. Helps to improve muscle health and enhances the fertility. Gooseberry is rich in Vitamin C, antioxidants and iron and it helps the hair growth, strengthen the roots of hair, maintains colour of hair and gives a natural shine. Gooseberry is also used as hair tonic.to hair. Eating gooseberry helps the body to absorb calcium in a positive way. Calcium is one of the essential mineral to have strong bones, teeth and nails. It is good for diabetic people and women who suffer from menstrual pains. Gooseberry is rich in fiber and good digestive content.
It is an easy dish and suits to all age group in a healthy way.
Let us see the recipe now :
Ingredients:Nellikai/Gooseberry : 2 to 3
Red chilly :1
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon.
Black Pepper seeds : 2 to 3.
Coconut : 1 Table spoon.
Curry leaves : 4 to 5
Ghee : 1 Tea spoon.
Curd or butter milk: 1 cup.
Salt : to taste.
Ingh/Asafoetida : a pinch.
Method :1. Wash and cut Nellikai (Goose berry ) in to small pieces. Wash curry leaves and keep it aside.
2. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
3. Keep it on the fire and heat. Put ghee in the pan. Add jeera, ingh, red chily, pepper.
4. Add curry leaves and fry nicely till jeera turn slightly golden brown.
5. Add cut gooseberry pieces and fry for a minute. Put off the fire. Add coconut and let it cool.
6. Grind all the fried ingredients with coconut with very little water till smooth
7. Remove from the mixi jar and put it in a bowl. Add curd and salt.
8. Add jeera seasoning to Gooseberry Tambuli and serve with plain rice or any other main dish.