Andra Pradesh has hot climate most of the months in the year. So they have their own type of food which helps them to keep cool. Pesarittu is such one of the dish which helps to keep the body cool. Pesarittu is mostly prepared using Whole Moong.
We had tasted this Pesarittu dosa during our first visit to Hydrabad. Our elder son Ravi used to work in Sathyam in Hydrabad. So we had a chance to taste this Pesarittu in one of the famous restaurant Chutneys in Hydrabad. We had Mantri Pesarittu (that is what they call this type of moong dosa). We were very curious to know about Mantri Pesarittu. When the server served (after seeing what is filled in side) we started to laugh, because Whole Moong Dosa was filled with Upma. (Rava Uppittu).Mantri Pesarittu was nice.
Every one knows that Whole Moong is packed with protein and it is good for health. Whole Moong/Moong dal helps us to be full for a long time. It is one of the best legume for the vegetarians.
I have prepared this " Whole Moong Dosa " in both the ways.
1. Whole Moong Dosa with out Onion and 2. Whole moong dosa with onions.
This Dosa can be prepared quickly if you have soaked the ingredients previous day. It is good for kids and you can pack them for their lunch box too. Good to have for breakfast, or in the evening or at night.
Let us see the Recipe now :
Things Needed :Whole Moong : 2 Cups
Raw rice : 1/2 Cup
Ginger : An inch
Pepper Pods : 4 to 5
Salt : As Required.
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Method :1. Wash and soak whole moong and raw rice together for at least 3 to 4 hours.
2. Grind soaked ingredients with ginger pepper pods and little jeera.
3. Add very little water to grind. Grind it into paste and remove from the mixi jar.
4. Add required salt and mix it well. Add water only if required. (It should be idli dough consistency).
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Sprinkle little oil on the tava/pan.
6. Clean that with a kitchen tissue. Take a ladle full of dough and spread it around the pan.
7. Sprinkle little oil on the top and cover the dosa. Let it cook for a minute on low and medium heat.
8. Turn the other side and cook for 30 seconds.
9. Dosa is ready to serve. Serve with the side dish you have prepared.
10. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
2. Whole Moong dosa with onions :Things Needed:
Whole Moong Dosa batter
Onions : 1 ( Medium size)
Coriander leaves : 2 to 3 Table spoons.
Green chillies : 1
Curry leaves : 6 to 8.
Oil : 5 to 6 Table spoons.
1.Wash and cut coriander leaves, curry leaves and green chilly.
2. Remove the outer layer of onions and cut in to small.
3. Mix all the ingredients nicely with " Whole Moong Dosa batter" and keep it aside.
5. Take a ladle full of dosa dough and put it on the tava. Spread it slowly. (not very thin).
6. Add oil on the top and cook for 1 minute. Turn the other side and cook for another 1 minute.
7. Whole Moong Onion dosa is ready to serve. Add little butter/ghee just before serving.
Note:You can prepare dosa as soon as you grind the dough/ You can also keep the dough for fermentation and then prepare dosas. Fermented dough helps the dosa to be thin and crisp. You should eat/serve hot dosas to enjoy at the best.
Use of onions is optional. You can also add grated coconut and grated ginger to the mixture before preparing dosa. Cook on medium heat . You can use non stick frying pan to prepare dosas.
You can use samolina (medium size rava ). instead of raw rice. Using Rava is a great help to diabetic patients .U can also have this Rava Moong dosa when you are fasting . ( Like sankasti , yekadashi ).