Mango Rasayana is special for us to enjoy the mango season. Mango pulp is squeezed out, jaggery and coconut milk is added to it. Adding little bit cardamom (some time) adds to the taste. This Mango rasayana is served with South Canara Special- Neer Dosa/Bari Akki Dosa or Ottu Shavige or Normal dosas and idli (Kadabu). In some places Holige/Pooran Poli is the dish to enjoy with Mango Rasayana. It is always healthy to enjoy seasonal fruits and vegetables on time. It helps us to be fit and fine.
Let us see some benefits of eating " Mango Fruits " in our diet.
Mango fruits are known as King of fruits. They are tasty and contain lots of vitamins, minerals and antioxidant properties. Mangoes are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. They are rich in dietary fiber and vitamin B6. They are good source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They are rich in minerals like potassium, magnesium and copper. Mangoes help to keep the blood pressure in control.
Mangoes help to control the cholesterol level in our body. They are good for gaining weight and good for digestion. Vitamin B6 are rich in mangoes and it helps and protect the brain health. Mangoes helps to boost the body immunity since they contain beta carotene.
I have used Alphansa mangoes which are brought from my sister Sujatha;s house. They are sweet and yummy.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things needed :Ripe Mangoes : 5 to 6
Coconut : 1 Big bowl grated coconut.
Jaggery : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Salt : A pinch
Water : As required (1 cup or little more)
Method :1 Wash and wipe the mango with a clean towel.
2. Soften the mango fruit by squeezing the outer part.
3. Now make a hole and squeeze out the pulp completely to a big bowl. Keep the outer layer in a big bowl.
4. Grate coconut and grind it with little water. Let it turn smooth paste. Add little more water and grind.
5. Now sieve this ground coconut. Let all the coconut milk pour down inside the bowl.
6. Put squeezed coconut again to the mixture and grind it with 1/2 cup of water for 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Remove the coconut from mixi jar and sieve the ground coconut. Remove the milk from ground coconut by squeezing. Keep coconut milk aside.
8. Now put mango pulp, coconut milk and jaggey. ( I used organic jaggery which is given by Shobha Somayaji).
9. Put very little water to a bowl and dip mango outer layer and remove the remaining pulp. Add this mixture to the bowl.
10. Now mix every thing nicely. Add powdered cardamom. Mix all the ingredients nicely.
11. Mango Rasayana is ready to serve.
Note :You can grind mango pulp and then add it to the jaggery and coconut milk mixture.
Adding more jaggery is optional. I have used 3 to 4 tablespoon full of jaggery. Use a fresh coconut gratings to get the good coconut milk. Do not add much water while grinding. ( 1/2 cup will do at a time). Adding more /less jaggery is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4 .