Normally Patrode is prepared during rainy and winter season , The reason is that we get lots of Kesu leaves during rainy season and its not that itchy during rainy season. This patrode helps our body to be warm and energetic because of the spice that we use help us to be strong.
Lets see the recipe Now:
Colacasia leaves (Kesu Leaves ) 10 to 15.
Rice : 2 cups .( Dosa Rice ).
Methi ( Fenugric seeds ) : 1 Teaspoon.
Urd daal: 1 Tablespoon.
Toor Daal : 2 Tablespoons.
Coriander seeds : 4 to 5 Tablespoons.
Jeera : 2 Teaspoons.
Red chillies : 10
Coconut : 1 Cup. (Half of 1 coconut).
Tamarind : 1 Ball size: ( 1 handful).
Salt : To taste.
Turmeric : a pinch.
Ingh : a pinch.
Jaggery : 3 to 4 Table spoons.
1. Wash and soak rice, methi seeds and rice together for two to three hours.
2. Wash and remove the hard stem on the leaf. (Behind the leaf if it is hard).
3. Grind all the ingredients along with coconut nicely.
4. Add jaggery and salt at the end and grind till jaggery mixes well. Remove from the mixi jar.
5. Cut washed colocasia leaves into thin.
7. Apply oil to each plate and put dough to each plate.
8. Put some water to idli cooker/pressure cooker.
9. Now arrange the idli plates and keep it in idli cooker/pressure cooker and cook for 25 to 30 minutes.
10. Poke a knife edge/spoon edge to confirm that is well cooked. (It does not stick to knife edge).
11. Remove Kesu gidde/Patrode gidde and put it a serving plate.
12. Serve with butter and jaggery.
Note : Must use proper amount of tamrind the dough or it may give itching feeling while eating. You can also roast all the spices and then grind with fresh coconut. Do not use much water. The dough should be thicker. You can also try this patrode with palak leaves and cabbage.
Time : 25 to 30 Minutes.
Serves : 4 to 5
You can also cut them into small pieces and add Mustard seasoning and coconut.
Patrode Vaggarane :Tak cooked Patrode and cut it into small pieces. Grate 3 to 4 spoons of fresh coconut. 5 to 6 curry leaves and 1/2 spoon of mustard seeds and urd daal and 2 to 3 Table spoons of oil. ( Any cooking oil will do).
Keep a pan on the fire. Heat and put mustard seeds and urd dal. Let the mustard seeds spurt. Add curry leaves and cut patrode pieces. Mix it nicely on low flame. Add coconut at the end and put of the gas. ( You can also add jaggery to it if you wish ). Mix nicely and serve hot Patrode Vaggarane . Its yemmy and spicy and good for evening snack.
Proper amount of tamarind should be used or it might itch your tongue when you eat. Use of more coconut turns the gidde soft.
Use of proper amount of spices adds to the taste. Use of more/less jaggery is optional.
Time : 10 Minutes
Servess 4 to 5.