Moong Daal: 1/2 Cup
Raw Rice: 1 Cup
Bottle gourd : 1 Cup
Pepper Seeds: 5 to 6 Pods
Jeera: 1 Tea spoon
Green chilly: 2 to 3
Ginger: 1/2 Tea spoon
Ghee: 2 Table spoon.
Salt: as required
Curry leaves: 5 to 6
Coriander leaves: 1 Table spoon
Ingh: a pinch
Turmeric Powder: a little
Cashew Nuts: 2 Table spoons.
1. Wash and cut coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chilly and grate ginger. Wash and grate bottle gourd and keep it aside.
2. Wash and cook rice and moong daal together and keep it aside.
3. Powder or crush pepper pods.
4. Now keep a big pan on the fire and heat. Add 1 table spoon of ghee and put jeera and crushed pepper. Add Cashew nuts, green chilly and curry leaves. Add little ingh to the mixture.
5. Now add cooked moong dal - rice to the jeera mixture and mix it well. Add 2 to 3 cups of water. Mix it nicely.
6. Add grated bottle gourd, grated ginger and little turmeric powder to the kichidi. Add salt. Mix it nicely. let it boil nicely for 3 to 4 minutes.
7. Now add cut coriander leaves and the remaining ghee to the boiling kichidi and put off the gas. Serve the kichidi with pickle , pappad. Do not forget to put a spoon of ghee on the top .
Note: Do not over cook moong and rice. You can roast moong daal for 3 to 4 minutes. Add required water. It should be little watery consistency. You can also add little more green chilly. Adding the ghee at the end gives better taste.
Time.: 20 to 25 minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3