Here is a recipe using Spring Onions for akki rotti instead of onions. Spring Onions akki rotti can be eaten for breakfast, as snack or for dinner too. Not much of masala or chilly is used here and it will be good for kids and elderly too.
Spring Onions: 2 to 3 cups. (2 small bundles)
Rice Powder: 2 cups
Green chilly: 1
Coconut: 1/2 Cup
Salt: to taste
Coriander leaves: 3 to 4 Table spoons
Curry leaves: 6 to 8 leaves
Ginger : 1 Table spoon
Oil: 4 to 5 Table spoons.
Water : Required
1. Wash and cut spring onions, curry leaves, coriander leaves into small pieces. Grate coconut and ginger and cut green chilly and keep it aside.
2. Take a big bowl and mix rice powder, cut spring onions, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Add grated coconut and ginger to the mixture.
3. Add salt and cut green chilly to the mixture.
4. Boil a cup of water and pour it to the mixture and leave it for 5 minutes.
5. Now mix all the ingredients together adding required water and let this dough mixture to be little loose.
6. Keep a bowl of plain water next to the rotti dough bowl.
7. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Sprinkle oil and wet your hands with plain water and take a handful of rotti dough and spread it nicely in a dosa shape. You can dip your hands in the water and spread the rotti in thinner way.
8. Sprinkle one tea spoon of oil on the top of akki rotti and cover the lid. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes and turn the other side of the rotti and cook that sdie for 1 minute.
9. Serve this hot akki rotti with a spoon of ghee or butter with any chutney you prepared or with chutney pudi or pickle.
Note: Mix the dough with required water so that it will be easy to spread. Adding boiling water to the mixture will help the Rotti to be soft.
Keep a low flame when you are spreading the dough on the tava. It helps you to spread the dough nicely. Or else keep two pans and after cooking rotti you wash the tava and then spread the dough and keep on the fire to cook rotti. Onions or any vegetables like carrots, cucumber or leaves like palak , methi or Dil also can be added to this mixture.
Time : 40 to 50 minutes.
Serves: 3 to 4