Pigeon peas have many good qualities like, it provides excellent source of fiber, protein and sodium. They are low in fat content and its ideal food for heart healthy diets.
Here is a recipe of Ragada Patties prepared using Pigeon Peas or Togari Kalu as we kannadigas say. Ragada means Sambar or gravy and patties which are prepared using Potatoes, or Green Bananas or even Sweet Potatoes too. This dish can be eaten for break-fast or as evening snack.
I am sure since its yemmy every one and all age group will love to eat this Ragda Patties.
One more dish is Usli using the same peas and prepared this dish and it has less oil and can be eaten at any time of the day. You can even use your creativity and prepare chat..with this Peas.
For the Curry :
Pigeon Peas : 2 Cups
Onions : 3
Tomatoes : 2 to 3
Garam Masala : 1 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Coriander seeds: 1 Tea spoon
Green Chilly : 1
Coriander leaves : 1 bundle
Ginger : an inch
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Salt : to taste
Lemon : 1/2 Rind
Oil : 1 Table spoons
For the Patties:
Potatoes : 4 to 5
Bread slices : 6 to 8
Curry leaves : 3 to 4 Table spoon
Salt : to taste
Jeera (Cumin Seeds) : 1 Tea spoon
Red chilly : 1 Tea spoon
Oil : 1/2 Cup
Method : to Prepare Curry1. Wash and cook Pigeon Peas in a pressure cooker with required water and leave it for cooling.
2. Wash tomatoes, coriander leaves green chilly and cut into small pieces.
3. Remove the outer skin of onions (2 onions ), wash and cut into small pieces.
4. Now Grind tomatoes, garam masala, coriander leaves, coriander seeds, jeera, ginger, green chilly and 2 table spoons of cooked peas into paste and remove from the jar and keep it aside.
5. Keep a pan on the fire. Heat the pan and put 1 table spoon of oil.
6. Add jeera and fry for 10 seconds. Add cut onion pieces and fry till they are brown.
7. Add ground mixture and mix it well. Add salt, turmeric and grated ginger to the mixture.
8. Add cooked peas and stir well. Let the curry boil nicely. Add water if required.
9. Stir inbetween and boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Now shift the curry to the serving bowl.
2. Aloo Patties :
1. Wash and boil potatoes in a pressure cooker for 6 to 8 minutes and remove the outer skin of the potatoes when it is cooled.
3. Now take a big bowl. Put potatoes, coriander leaves and the bread slices, salt, jeera and red chilly powder.
4. Smash the potatoes nicely and mix all the ingredients nicely. Knead it well and divide the smashed mixture in to small portions.
6. Take a small portion of the mixture and give a shape according to your wish and shallow fry or just cook with little oil on both sides. (At time 4 to 6 patties can be cooked).
Now Put a big spoon of Peas curry in a deep plate. Keep 2 to 3 Aloo Patties and put some cut onions on the top and serve.
Note : See that the curry is piping hot. You can add or lesson the spices (chilly) according to your taste. See that the curry is little liquidy. (not watery). You can also use more onions if you wish. You can also mix onions along with boiled potatoes. It taste differ. Must use little oil on both sides while cooking. Using more oil is optional. Here I have used less oil. You can also put grated carrots along with cut onions on the top of the patties while serving.
Serves : 4
Time :40 mins