Foxtail Millet is an healthy alternative to rice. It is gluten free food. It is rich in Protein and Iron. It contain calcium and minerals. It helps to control the blood sugar and cholesterol. It reduces the risk of heart attack. Navane is rich in anti-oxidants and ideal food for people, who suffer from diabetes and gastric problem.
I have used Foxtail Millet and Urd dal to prepare Idlies. These idlies are healthy in a way. These idlies can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, as snack or for dinner too. Navane Idlies are soft and fluffy and tasty too. All age group will definitely love these idlies and Its very good for morning breakfast or even dinner.
Things Needed :
Urd Dal : 1 Cup
Navane (Foxtail Millet) : 2 cups
Salt : to taste
Water : required
Oil : 1 Table spoon
1. Wash and soak Urd dal and Navane separately for 3 to 4 hours.
2. Now grind urd dal till paste and Navane into Rava consistency.
3. Put ground Urd and Navane dough in a big bowl mix the dough together and add salt.
4. Leave it for ferment over night or 6 to 8 hours.( The dough has to rise).
6. Mix the ferment dough nicely and put a big spoon of idly batter into each mould in the idly plate. Fill all the plates with idly batter. Arrange them in the idly cooker.
7. Keep a idly cooker or pressure cooker on the fire. Put sufficient water and keep a plate or bowl upside down.
8. Now place the idly plates in the cooker and cover the lid and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
9. Put off the fire and open the lid. Take out the ready idly from the plates
10. Serve hot idly with a spoon ghee and the side dish of your choice
Note : Must take while grinding Navane. The Navane batter should be like rava consistency.
The batter should be ferment well. Navane is also called as Navane akki.Do not make the dough very watery. It should be like rice idly consistency. To remove the cooked hot idly, you can sprinkle little water on the top of idly plate. So that idly comes out quickly with out a cut and as it it round and fluffy.
Preparation : 10 Minutes
Cooking : 10 Minutes.
Extra time for Soaking, grinding and fermentation.
Serves : 4 to 5
|Navane or Fox Millet.|
|Navane or Foxtail Millet.|