Kosumbari means a side dish normally served during the festival or functions in Karnataka and most of the places in South India. Kosumbari is prepared in many varieties and different vegetables like cucumber, carrot, capsicum, cooked or uncooked but soaked dals like, channa dal, moong dal and now a days with tender corns.
Beetroot is known to contain large amounts of soluble fibres. Beetroot helps to reduce bad cholesterol and it is also a powerful antioxidant. It has an abundant supply of folic acid. Folic acid is important for pregnant mums and unborn babies. Beetroot is packed with mineral silica.Beetroot stabilises blood sugar. Beetroot contain iron and iron is good anaemia. Beetroots contain high soluble fibrecontent and it regularises bowel movements.
The moong bean is a native to the Indian Subcontinent. It is used as an ingredient in both savory and sweet dishes. It is loaded with goodies and rich in Vitamin A,B, C, and E and also an many minerals including iron, calcium and potassium. It is a powerful source of vegetarian protein. Moong dal helps to lower the high cholesterol level in the blood system. It reduces bad cholesterol. and regulates the blood pressure.
Here is a simple, easy recipe of Beetroot Kosumbari. This dish is a side dish and we can have them with rice, chapati, roti or pooris. I am sure all age group people will love to have this dish and it is also one of the diet dish.
Things Needed :Beetroot : 1
Moong Dal : 2 Table spoons
Green chilly : 1
Ginger : 1 Tea spoon
Coriander leaves : 2 Table spoons
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh /Asafetida : a pinch
Coconut : 1 Table spoon
2. Wash and soak moongdal for an hour.
3. Wash and cut coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chilly.
4. Wash and grate ginger and coconut.
5. Take a big bowl and put grated beetroot, cut green chilly, coriander leaves and currry leaves.
6. Remove moog dal from water and add it to the beetroot mixture.
8. Mix it welll and shift the beetroot kosumbari to a serving bowl.
9. Serve with rice or chapati as one of the side dish.
10 You can also spread this kosumbari and prepare masala papad.
11. Keep this kosumbari inside the chapati and roll it and you can have kosumbari chapatis.
12. You can put this beetrooot kosumbari on salt biscuits and serve with tea..
Note :You can not store this in a fridge as it leaves out the water and does taste stale. Prepare a little quantity. No need to add any oil. You can use chat masala if you wish. Adding more chilly taste spicy.
Time 10 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3