Let us see some benefits of using "Sweet Potato" in our daily life.
Though Sweet potatoes grow well in winter, we get this vegetable round the year. It is one of the healthiest vegetable. They are high in Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 helps to reduce the chemical homocysteine in our body. (Homocrysteine is an amino acid made in our body from dietary protein and it is regulated by Vitamins B6, B12 and folic adid to work properly). Sweet Potatoes are good source of Vitamin C, which is very important for bone and tooth formation, digestion and blood cell formations. It helps accelerate wound healing. Vitamin C helps to cope up with stress. It even helps to protect our body against toxins. Sweet Potatoes contain Vitamin D and Vitamin D plays an important role in our energy levels, moods and helps to build healthy bones, heart, nerves, skin and teeth. It also supports the thyroid gland. Sweet Potatoes contain iron and iron plays an important role in our body. They help to increase resistance to stress , proper immune functioning and the metabolizing of protein. Sweet Potatoes are a good source of magnesium.
Here is a recipe of " Sweet Potato - Onions Curry " as I said it earlier it is very easy to prepare and all age group will surely enjoy eating this curry. This is a quick recipe too.
Things Needed :Sweet Potatoes : 2
Onions : 3 Medium sized
Green Chilly : 3 to 4
Lemon : 1 Tea spoon
Ginger : 1 Tea spoon
Salt : according to taste.
Oil : 1 Table spoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Urid Dal : 1/2 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Curry leaves : 5 to 6
Coriander Leaves : 2 Table Spoons.
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Method :1. Wash and boil sweet potato for 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the outer skin and smash the boiled sweet potatoes when it is cooled.
2. Remove the outer skin of onions and wash it. Cut it in to thin slices. (long slices).
3. Wash and cut green chilly , coriander leaves and curry leaves. Wash ginger, remove the outer skin and wash again and grate it.
4. Now keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put oil urid dal and mustard seeds. Let the mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add jeera , cut green chilly and curry leaves. Fry for 1 minute.
6. Add cut onions and fry them nicely for 2 minutes. Add turmeric powder and 1/2( half) cup of water.
7. Let the onions turn soft. Add grated ginger, smashed sweet potato and salt. Mix it well.
8. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in between and put coriander leaves and lemon extract. Mix it well and shift the curry to a serving dish.
9. We had Sweet Potato -Onion curry with Pooris.
Time : 20 minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.