Potatoes and onions are cooked together with toor dal and added spiced ground coconut.We can prepare Sambar (without coconut) and it goes very well with Idli and dosas.
Let us see some benefits of eating onions in our diet.
The health benefits of eating onions are, lowering the risk of several types of cancer, improving mood and maintaining the health of skin and hair.They are low in calories and high in beneficial nutrients like vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.They contain small amount of carbohydrates, fiber, protein, vitamin C vitamin B-6 and manganese. Onions have small amount of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium and antioxidants and sulfur. Onions have anti -biotic, antiseptic, antimicrobial properties that help you to stay away from infections. It is a good remedy for immediate cure for fever, common cold, cough, sore throat, allergies etc. Inhaling a small piece of onion helps to slow down the bleeding through nose. Onions can cure insomnia or sleeping disorder. Eating an onion helps to give a good sleep at night. Onions can improve digestive system.
Potato Onion Curry is good combination for idli, dosa, plain rice, chapati, roti or pooris and even raagi mudde.
Things Needed :
Onions : 4 to 5
Potatoes : 2 to 3
Toor dal : 1/2 Cup
Tamarind : a marble size
Coconut : 1 Cup (3 to 4 Table spoons)
To Fry :Coriander seeds : 2 to 3 Table spoons
Methi seeds : 1/4 Tea spoon
Urid Dal : 1/2 Tea spoon
Jeera : 1/2 Tea spoon
Red chilly : 6 to 8m
Ingh : a pinch
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
For Seasoning :Oil : 1 Tea spoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Tea spoon
Salt : as required
Coriander leaves : 2 Table spoons.
Method :1. Wash and cut onions and potatoes. (removing outer layer of the potato is optional).
3. Keep a glass of water in a big pan and put cut onions and potatoes and cook till potatoes are soft and keep it aside.
4. Soak a marble size tamarind in hot water and squeeze out the pulp and keep it aside.
5. Keep a small pan on the fire and put1/2 tea spoon of oil and heat.
6. Put methi seeds and urid dal. Let them turn slightly brown7. . Add coriander seeds and fry for 20 seconds.
7. Add red chilly and fry for 10 seconds. Put off the gas. Add jeera, ingh and curry leaves. Mix it well. Leave it for cooling.
10. Mix it well and add water if required. Let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground coconut and spice mixture. Mix it well.
Note :Adding more onions is optional. Adding more chilly and oil is also optional. Instead of frying the spices you can use ready rasam powder. ( 2 to 3 Tea spoons of rasam powder. Using MTR or Maiyya's Rasam powder gives a good taste).
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 3 to 4