Lets see some benefits of having Drumstik in our diet.
Drumstick is rich in B-complex vitamins, vitamin B6, Vitamin B-1 , B2, B3., Vitamin A and Vitamin C. They are good source of Calcium, iron, copper, manganese, zinc and magnesium. Drumstick leaves are good source of calcium. Calcium is required for bone strengthening. It is good for nursing mothers and people who suffer from malnutrition. Drumstick contain good amount of anti oxidants and helps in curing eye problems. It also helps in preventing liver damage and antioxidants sources help in prevent the damage against free radicals. It also helps in regulating thyroid functions. Drumstick is a natural antiseptic herb.
It is a simple and tasty sambar and it goes well with idli, dosa, rotti, chapati and almost all main dishes.
Ingredients :To Cook :
Drumsticks/Nuggekai : 4 to 5
Toor dal : 1/2 Cup
Radish/ Mooli /Moolangi : 2
To Grind :
Coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Sambar Powder : 1 Tablespoon (Full)
Tamarind : a small marble size
To Add :
Salt : as required
Coriander Leaves : 1 Tablespoon
Turmeric powder : a pinch
Oil 1 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingh : a pinch
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Method :1. Wash and remove the outer layer of the hard drum sticks. Cut it into small pieces.
2. Wash and cook dal with required water. (pressure cook for 8 to 10 minutes).
3. Wash and remove the outer layer of moolangi/radish and cut it into pieces.
5. Grate coconut and grind it with tamarind and sambar powder.
6. Now keep a pan on the fire. Put cooked drum stick pieces, cooked dal.
7. Add salt and turmeric powder. Mix it well. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
8. Add ground coconut mixture. Mix it well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
10. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :You can use moong dal instead of toor dal. Cook drumstick till they turn soft. (do not over cook).
Adding onions and garlic is optional. Adding any brand sambar powder is optional. I have used home made sambar powder.
For Sambar Powder : Dry roast, methi seeds 1/4 teaspoon, 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of coriander seeds, 1/2 teaspoon of urid dal, 5 to 6 red chilly ( I have used byadagi chilly) and 1/4 Teaspoon of jeera. Ingh and curry leaves. Dry roast all these ingredients one by one and dry grind it till powder.
Sambar Powder is ready to use. (1 Time use).
Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4.