Ivy Gourd is known in different names like, baby watermelon, little gourd, tindora, Tonde Kayi (Kannada) Kovakka (Tamil), Dondakaya(Telugu), Tendli or Tondli (Marati), Kunduri (Oriya) and kundri/Kovai or Kovakkai in Malayalam.
In Dakshina Kannada or South Karnataka (Udupi, Mangalore etc ), we do prepare this Tondekai Palya on a Yugadi Festival Day. (Soura Yugadi). Fresh cashews are added to this curry. One mor dish Kadale - Tonde kai gasi (Ivy Gourd - Channa thick curry) is also very famous in South Canara. (South Part of Karnataka).
We can have this curry with so many main dishes like, Plain or masala rice, chapati, poori, rotti , naan, roti and even dosas. In Maharastra, Rice Palav prepared using this vegetable is very famous.
Lets see some benefits of eating Ivy gourd in our diet.
Ivy gourd helps to control diabetes. It contain Vitamin A (beta carotene). Ivy gourd has an excellent source of protein and fiber. It helps to treat people who supper from bowel movements. Ivy gourd has good source of vitamins which is essential for human body. It is a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin B 1 and B 2 and Vitamin A. It has some amount of anti oxidant properties.
Tonde Kai Palya has no onions or garlic in it. We can prepare them on any day. Be it a festival or fasting or a normal day or party time.This Palya goes well with all items. It is a simple and easy curry that anyone can prepare it very quickly.
Lets see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :Tonde Kai/ Ivy gourd : 1/4 Kg
Red chilly : 2 to 3
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Coconut : 2 Tablespoons
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoons
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Salt : As required
Ondelaga Leaves ( Gotu Kola leaves) : 1 Handful
Method :1. Wash and cut tonde kai in to pieces, (according to your wish). Put it in a bowl of water.
2. Wash and cut ondelaga /Gotu Kola leaves into thin and keep it aside.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put oil, mustard seeds and urid dal. Add red chilly pieces
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves.
6. Remove all the tondekai pieces from water and add it to the seasoning.
7. Mix it well and fry for 2 minutes. Add water (1/2 cup) and cook till they turn soft.
8. Let all the moisture disappear. Add turmeric powder and salt. Mix it well and cook on low flame.
9. Now add grated coconut the dry curry. Add cut Ondelaga leaves and mix it well.
Note :Cut ondelaga leaves into thin. Using ondelaga (one leaf in each branch ) is optional. You can use coriander leaves. Eating ondelaga leaves helps in circulating and purifying blood in our body. You can also cook tonde kai first and then season it. Cook till the vegetable is soft. Adding onions and
garlic is optional.
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4