Let us see some benefits of using Mustard seeds in our cooking.
Mustard seeds are rich source of minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium. It is also a good source of Vitamin A Vitamin K Vitamin C. It is also a good source of magnesium and dietary fiber. Mustard Seeds are good for astama and cold. They help to provide relief from respiratory disorders. Mustard seeds help in curing pains and spasms.(cramps). Mustard seeds are good aid for ringworm. They contain good amount of anti oxidants, They also helps in controlling blood pressure and cholesterol level in our body. They help to fight infection and good natural scrub for skin.
Now Lets see the recipe : Akki Rotti has No Onions in it.
Ingredients :Rice Flour : 3 Cups
White Pumpkin Gratings : 1 Cup
Mustard seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Green chilly : 2
Curd /Dahi/Yogurt : 1 Cup
Coconut :1 Cup
Coriander Leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Curry Leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Oi; : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Method :1. Grate white pumpkin and grind with mustard seeds and green chilly. (I have used white pumpkin pulp also) and keep it aside.
2. Wash curry leaves, coriander leaves and and cut it into small.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Take a big bowl, add ground white pumpkin sasive, curry leaves, coriander leaves.
6. Add required water and prepare dough. It should be soft. (You should be able to spread the dough on the pan).
8. Take a handful of rotti flour and spread it around the pan by your finger. ( Let it be on low flame).
9. Put a spoon of oil and cover the rotti. Let it cook on medium and low flame.
10. Turn the rotti other side and cook for 30 seconds.
11. Spicy Akki rotti is ready to serve. Do the same with remaining dough.
12. Serve with ghee/butter/ chutney powder/chutney of your choice.
Note :You can add white pumpkin gratings as they are. It taste different. Adding mustard seeds to the rotti adds a good aroma. Consistency of the dough according to your wish. You can use banana leaf to spread the rotti and then you can put it on the tava. It saves your time and easy too. No onion is added in this dough. You can add onions/any leaves like, methi (fenugrik leaves), dil leaves, palak leaves, grated carrots and even peas or avarekai. Adding curd makes the rotti soft.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4