We normally use raw rice , urid dal, methi/fenugrik seeds and a little avalakki/flattened or beaten rice.
Trying some thing with the same ingredients and adding some thing else which is always interesting and I call it as creative. Of course it is always the best to use what has come all the way from olden days. Dosa is best with its original ingredients. But it has taken so many turns and varieties.
Lets see some interesting facts about the dosa origin.
As I said earlier, I have used watermelon rind along with other dosa ingredients. It is one good way to make use of watermelon rind and get the benefits from it.
Remember you do not add any extra water while grinding. Use watermelon rind pieces. Watermelon rind contain water and that will be sufficient for grinding rice and urid dal.
Ingredients :Dosa rice (Raw) : 2 Cups
Urid dal : 1/2 Cup
Methi/Fenugrik seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Avalakki/Flattened rice : 1/2 Cup (Two fist (Handful).
Salt : To Taste
Oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Method :1. Wash and soak raw rice, methi seeds and urid dal together.
2. Wash avalakki and soak it separately. Soak all the ingredients at least 3 hours.
3. Wash and remove the green top portion of watermelon skin and cut the rind into small pieces.
4. Now grind ingredients little by little using watermelon rind pieces. (Do not use water).
5. Remove from the mixi jar and put it in a big bowl. Add salt and let it ferment for over night. (or 5 to 6 hours).
6. Keep a dosa pan on the fire and heat. Sprinkle oil and spread it evenly. Clean it with a kitchen tissue.
7. Take a ladle full of dosa dough and spread on heated tava. (let the fire be low).
8. Sprinkle little oil on the top and cover. Let it cook till it gets crispy. (30 seconds to 1 minute).
9. Remove the hot crispy dosa and serve with the side dish you have prepared.
10. Repeat the same and prepare dosas with remaining dosa dough and enjoy .
Note :I have used Mixi (Liquidizer ) to grind the ingredients. It is easy to grind watermelon rind pieces.
If you are using grinder, Watermelon rind pieces should be ground in mixi jar and then add it to the ingredients. Watermelon rind pieces contain lots of water and it is more than enough for grinding the dough. (My experience). Add water only if required. Prepare dosas on low and medium flame. Using of Nonstick pan is optional. (I have used dosa tava). First try with little quantity of ingredients.
Time : Soaking time : 4 Hours : Grinding : 10 minutes, Fermenting : 6 hours,
Preparation : 30 minutes.
Serves : 5 to 6