This particular millet is called as Jola in Kannada, Sorghum in English, Jowar/Hindi, Cholam/Tamil, Jonna/Telugu, Cholam in Malayalam.
Lets see some health benefits of Eating Millet in our diet.
Millet is generally rich is Protein, fiber, calcium, iron. They are good source of minerals like Manganese, copper and phosphorous. Millet helps to reduce cholesterol, lowers blood pressure and take good care of body tissues and cells. They helps to reduce the diabetes. It contain high amount of insoluble fiber and good for people who suffer from constipation and it also helps to prevent Galstone formation. They are gluten free.
Note : People with thyroid problems should avoid eating millet on regular daily basis since it is believed to contain some Goitrogen properties. (Goitrogens are some substances that disturb the production of thyroid hormones by interfering with iodine uptake in the thyroid gland.
Lets see the recipe now :
Things Needed :Millet/Jola flour : 2 Cups
Green chilly ; 2
Curry leaves : Handful
Coriander leaves : Handful
Jeera/Cumin Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Cut cashew nuts : 2 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Jaggery : 1 Tablespoon
Oil : 1 Cup (To fry)
Method :1.Take a big bowl and put millet flour, washed and cut coriander leaves, curry leaves, green chilly.
2. Add a tablespoon of jaggery, required salt and jeera. Add cut cashew nuts.
3. Mix it nicely add required water and prepare thick dough.
4. Keep a frying pan on the fire put oil and heat.
5. Divide the dough into small ball size.
6. Take a small size dough and place it on a palm and just press it. Put this in hot oil and fry on both sides till they turn slightly golden brown.
7. Put it on a tissue so that it absorbs extra oil.
8. Serve with ketch up or chutney.
9. Repeat the same and prepare Vada with remaining dough.
Better eat/serve when they are hot.
Note :Do not add more water. You might not be able to fry the vadas. It might take more oil too. No need to add any oil to the dough. Adding more chilly or other spice is optional. Adding cooking soda is optional. (Mix soda when are just ready to fry, mix it well and prepare vadas). You can use banana leaf to prepare vada. (instead of keeping on the palm and press). Use of onions are optional. ( I did not use onions/garlic ). You can use ground nuts instead of cashew nuts.
Time : 15 to 20 Minutes
Serves : 10 to 15 Vadas can be made.