Urid Dal Spicy rice is prepared using Urid dal and some simple spices which is always find in your seasoning container. (Oggarane dabba).
Ulandu means Urid dal in Tamil. Ogare/Ore means mixed rice. Ulandu Parapu/Urid dal is the main ingredient here. Roasted Urid dal, Pepper pods and grated dry coconut (Kopra/Kobbari) is used for preparing this Ulundore/Urid Dal spicy rice. (Information by Sreedevi Mukundan).
Lets see some benefits of eating Urid Dal in our diet.
Urid Dal plays an important role in Indian Cuisine. It is said to be one of the healthy dal and it is rich with protein, fat, carbohydrates and Vitamin B. It is good for women and it has a good source of iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Urid dal is said to be energy booster because of its iron content. Urid dal is good for vegetarians especially. It does contain anti inflammatory and anti aging properties. It helps to improve the digestion and prevents constipation since it has soluble and insoluble fiber.
Urid Dal Spicy Rice is very easy and quick to prepare and is yummy.
Urid Dal Spicy Rice has No Onion or No Garlic and is one of the traditional food.
We can prepare this Urid dal Spicy Rice for festivals, one dish party, Ladies party or even while travelling you can enjoy it.
Lets see the recipe now.
Things Needed :Cooked Raw Rice : 2 Cups.
Ghee : 2 Tablespoons
Spices to be roasted :
Urid dal : 1 Tablespoon
Red chilly/Byadagi Chilly : 5 to 6
Ingh/Asafoetida : a pinch
Pepper Pods : 5 to 6 Pods
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8 or little more
Fresh Coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
For Seasoning :
Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Cashew Nuts : 1 to 2 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Method :1. Wash and cook raw rice and and leave it for cooling.
2. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add urid dal and roast till it get golden brown.
3. Add red chilly, pepper pods and roast for a minute. Add curry leaves and ingh. Put off the fire.
4. Cut cashews in to small pieces.
6. Keep a big pan or bowl. Add oil and heat. Add mustard seeds, urid dal. Let mustard seeds splutter.
7. Add a pinch of ingh and curry leaves. Add cashew pieces and fry for 10 seconds.
8. Add cooked rice and mix it well. Add little turmeric powder.
9. Add dry ground urid dal mix and salt. Mix it slowly on low flame.
10. Add 2 tablespoons of ghee and mix it well.
11. Shift the ready Urid dal rice to a serving dish.
12. Serve with a cup of curd and papad.
Do not over cook rice. It should be soft enough. Use of more cashews are optional. Use of oil to roast urid dal and other ingredients is optional. (Use 1 teaspoon of oil). Use of ghee is optional. Use of more/less chilly is also optional. You can use little more coconut. Just add coconut gratings at the end. It adds to the taste. Adding Lemon/tamarind is optional. I have not added. Urid dal Spicy Rice should be mild spicy. It is always better to use previously cooked rice to prepare this Spicy Rice. (Plan and cook rice before 2 to 3 hours).
Please note : Use of water to cook raw rice : Basumathi Rice : 1 cup rice - 2 cups of water. Sona Masoori : 1 Cup Rice : 3 cups of water.
Time : 20 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3