I have used jaggery instead of sugar. Jaggery helps to add iron to our body. It boost energy and contain little carbohydrates
Nendra Baale -Wheat Halva is the perfect sweet for any Celebration. Fresh and Healthy sweets are more enjoyable and helps to be fit too.
Deepavali is celebrated for 4 to 5 days. First day Neeru tumbuva habba, the name it self reveals that neeru means water, tumbu means fill. So the first day eve is celebrated by performig pooja to water and fill the big Hande (the one which water is boiled) will be the done and Hande (big Pot) is decorated with rangoli. Next day early moring water is boiled and people get ready for oil bath. that is called Enne Snana. (Oil bath). After the bath the elder of the home is perform pooja and pray well ness of the whole family and all the members of the family gather in the pooja room. They take the ashirvad (blessings) of the elders, pooja and nevaidya (samarpane) is done. Early morning boiling water is a big process. Oil is put up to everyone's head and each one will bath and freshen them selves, wear new clothes. After the pooja is done and then Upahar. ( Morning breakfast) which is normally dosa and panchakajjaya. which is already made naivedaiyam to Lord.
Let us see the recipe now :
Wheat flour : 1 Cup
Jaggery : 1 Cup. (Grated)
Nendra Banana : 1
Cardamom : 4 to 5 pods
Ghee : 1/2 Cup
Cashew and Almonds : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Poppy Seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Water : 1 Cup.
1. Dry roast wheat nicely till the raw smell goes off. Keep water for boiling.
2. Cut nendra banana into small pieces and keep it aside.
4. Now keep a big pan on the fire and put roasted wheat flour. Add boiling water and mix it well.
5.Add powdered jaggery and mix it nicely. Add a spoon of ghee and stir nicely.
7. Add cut almonds and mix it well. Fry cashews in a teaspoon of ghee and keep it aside.
8. Powder cardamom and greese the tray or plate. Fry cashews in a spoon of ghee.
9. Add little more ghee and mix the halva nicely. Add cashew and poppy seeds and mix it again.
12. You can also serve this halva when it is hot. Put a spoon of halva and put a spoon of ghee and serve.
Adding ghee on the top of hot halva (when it is hot) adds to the taste.
Adding more ghee helps the halva to be more rich and tasty.
Needs to cook on low and medium flame.
You can also add roasted cashews. (optional). Dry roasting /frying in ghee is optional. (Cashews). I have fried cashews in ghee. Added almonds as they are. (Did not fry or roast).
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 20 to 25 pieces.