Let us see some benefits of having " Ivy Gourd/Tonde Kai" in our diet.
Ivy Gourd/Tonde kai/kovekai/Tindli/Tindura helps you to be fit, healthy and energetic. It is said to be the store house of Vitamins and minerals. It has protein and fibers, antioxidants. It has been used in Ayurveda for centuries as an anti bacterial agent. It helps to protect the nervous system and promotes the metabolism in the body. It helps to control blood sugar in our body. Ivy gourd contain good amount of calcium and it helps in reducing the risk of kidney stone formation. it strengthen the bones, improve the immune system and promotes the digestive health in our body.
Mangalore cucumber -Ivy Gourd Curry is an easy dish and it has no onions or garlic in it.
Things Needed :Mangalore Southekai : 1/2
Ivy Gourd/Tondekai : 250 Grams
Green chilly : 2
Jeera/Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Mustard Seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Almonds/Badams : 6 to 8
Coconut : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Salt : As Required
Mustard seasoning : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Ingh/Asafoetida : A pinch
Curry Leaves : 1 Tablespoon (small cut)
Coconut Oil/Ghee/Any cooking oil : 1 Teaspoon
Method :1. Wash and cut Mangalore Southekai into small pieces. Put them in a bowl of water.
3. Cook them with required water till they turn soft. (10 minutes).
4. Grate/Cut coconut and grind it with jeera, mustard seeds, 1 green chilly and almonds.
5. Use only required water. Remove from the mixi jar.
7. Mix it well and let it boil for 2 to 3 minutes. Slit a green chilly while the curry is boiling.
8. Shift the curry to a serving dish and Let it cool a bit.
9. Add 2 tablespoons of curd and mix it well. Add mustard-jeera, ingh and curry leaves seasoning.
9. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Note :Adding tamarind instead of curd is optional. (Taste nice). Adding more/less chilly is also optional. Adding almonds add to the thickness. You can also add chenna (roasted channa) instead of Almonds.
Do not use more water while grinding or boiling. The curry should be thick (It taste better).
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 3 to 4.