Healthy and yummy Guli appas are flavoured with ghee and banana, the aroma of jaggery spreads around and you are tempted to have some I bet.
I have used wheat flour, organic jaggery, two yalakki bananas and a pinch of salt and cooking soda.
Let us see some benefits of eating jaggery in our diet.
Jaggery has the ability to cleanse our body. It act as a digestive agent and sweeten our food in a healthy way. It provides minerals like iron, and mineral salts. It helps for good digestion and good for people who suffer from constipation. Jaggery provides energy to the body.
Sweet Guli Appa is nice to have as breakfast/snack .
Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :Wheat flour : 2 Cups
Jaggery : 1/2 Cup
Coconut : Grated : 1/2 Cup
Banana :Ripen : 2
Salt : A pinch
Cooking Soda : A pinch
Milk : 1/2 Cup
Cardamom : 2 to 3 Pods.
Ghee/Cooking oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Guli Appa/paddu/Gunduponglu : mould pan
Method :1. Remove the skin of bananas and put it in a bowl. Add jaggery and smash it in hand nicely.
2. Take a big bowl and add wheat flour, smashed banana jaggery mixture, salt and soda.
Remove the pods from cardamom, powder and add it to the wheat flour.
3. Add milk and mix it well. Add required water and prepare dough. (Dosa dough consistency).
4. Leave it for 5 minutes.
5. Keep Guli appa pan on the fire. Heat and put little oil/ghee to each mould.
6. Put a tablespoon of prepared wheat -banana dough and put little oil/ghee on the top.
7. Cover and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the cover and turn the other side of guli appa.
8. Put little oil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and serve with little ghee on the top.
9. Repeat the same with remaining dough.
Note :Do not make the dough watery. Add required water. Adding milk is optional. (It adds to the taste).
Adding ghee instead of oil is optional. Any type of wheat flour is optional. (No need to be branded one, use the milled flour). Adding more/less jaggery is optional. Adding grated coconut is optional. You can add coconut pieces which gives a good taste while eating.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3.