I have used jack fruits, red chilly and coconut oil.
Jack fruit is from my sister's home (Udupi) and they do have many varieties of jack fruits. They are sweet and thick and really nice to try many varieties.
Lets see some benefits of eating " Jackfruits " in our diet.
As I said in earlier posts, it is always better to use seasonal fruits/ vegetables, which are loaded with healthy properties.
Jackfruit is known as the jack of all fruits. It is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fiber, fat and protein. It contain calories but no cholesterol or saturated fats. It is rich in vitamins and minerals. Jackfruit is loaded with antioxidant properties. Jackfruit contain Vitamin C and is good for our immune system. It protect against diseases like cough, cold and flu. It has potassium and good for bones and skin. Jackfruit is full of fiber content and is good for people who suffer from piles. It is a rich source of calcium and good for our bone health. Jackfruit is good for our eyes and skin. Jack fruit provides energy. It contain other minerals like copper and magnesium.
Let us see the recipe Now : As I said it is very simple and yummy dish and goes well with hot plain rice, chapati, dosa and all types of rotis.
No Onion or Garlic is used in this " Jack Fruit Fry ".
Things Needed :Fresh JackFruits : 1 Big bowl
Red chilly : 2 to 3
Coconut Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Coconut : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Salt : As required
Method :1. Cut Jackfruits into small pieces. Grate coconut and keep it aside. Wash curry leaves.
2. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil, mustard seeds, urid dal and let mustard splutter.
3. Add jeera and red chilly pieces. Add curry leaves and fry for a second.
4. Add cut jackfruit pieces on low flame till it turns slightly soft. ( Do not over fry ).
5. Add salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix it well.
6. Put off the gas and shift the ready jackfruit fry to a serving bowl. Add grated coconut and cut coriander leaves on the top.
7. Serve with any main dish you have prepared. We had it as one of the side dish during lunch.
Note :Use of any cooking oil is optional. Use of green chilly instead of red chilly is optional. Do not use much spice. Do not use onion or garlic to fry. It may not taste good. No need to add jaggery since the jack fruit is already sweet. Adding more oil is optional. Strictly do not add any water. Cook on low flame.
Time : 10 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3