There are varieties of preparations of Karchikai. The stuffing can be with, coconut, khoya (khova), paneer, semolina, dry fruits etc.
It is called in different names in different places.
Karchikai - Karnataka, ghughra - Gujarat, Karanji - Maharastra, Karachika - Tamilnadu, Nevri in Goa. It is also known as Gujias.
I have used chiroti rava ( thin variety of semolina) and copra (dry coconut), sugar, raisins and cardamom. One has to kneed the dough well to get good crispy karchikai. You can just put them on the kitchen slab and beat them with chapati roller slowly. So it helps the dough to be soft.
Lets see the recipe now:
Things Needed :For the outer layer :
Chiroti Rava/Thin variety of Semolina : 2 Cups
Maida / Alpurpose flour : 1 Tablespoon
Salt : A Pinch
Ghee : 2 Tablespoons
For Stuffing :
Dry Coconut /Copra : 1 (Small one)
Sugar : 1/2 Cup
Raisins : 2 Tablespoons
Cashew Pieces : 1 Tablespoon
Cardamom : 5 to 6 Pods
To Fry :
Cooking Oil : 1 Cup
Method :1. Put Chiroti Rava in a big bowl. Add maida, ghee, salt and mix it well.
2. Put required water and prepare dough. Keep it aside.
3. Dry grind coconut, sugar and cardamom.
4. Put dry ground ingredients to a pan. Keep the pan on the fire. Mix all the ingredients nicely.
5. Let it get bit thick. Put off the gas and add raisins, cashews and leave it for cooling.
6. Now take the dough and knead it well.
7. Divide them in to small portion.
8. Roll them as small chapati and place a tablespoon of coconut mix.
9. Fold and join the ends and close it well. (Press a little at the edge and give a desired shape).
10. Keep oil on the fire and heat. Fry Karchikai on low and medium flame on both sides.
11. Remove from the oil and put it on a kitchen tissue.
12. Put them in a airtight box once it is cooled. Serve crispy crunchy Karchikai.
Note :The outer layer dough is prepared with chiroti rava. It has to be kneaded well. Place the dough on chapati rolling board and hit it slowly with the help of rolling pin. It helps the dough to be soft and you can roll the outer layer as thin as you like. You can add less/more sugar to the stuffing. (Optional). Adding dry fruits helps the Kachori to be tasty. Use of cooking soda is optional. ( I have not added). Adding maida is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes
25 to 30 Karchikai can be prepared.