I have tried a dry curry with Cauliflower and it tasted yummy. It goes well with almost all the main dishes like rice, chapatis, rotis, pooris or even dosas.
Simple spice and little Besan/kadale hittu/Chenna flour/Gram flour is added to gobi and tried as mild spicy dry curry.
Our friend Rajashree Vaidya is used to add besan flour to the curry, so that it binds the pieces well roasted nicely gives out a good aroma too.
Let us see some benefits of eating " Cauliflower " in our diet.
Cauliflower is good for hypertension. It is a good source of antioxidant and helps to strengthen the immune system. It helps to support bone health, and good for brain. It gives a relief to indigestion and good for diabetes and balance the cholesterol levels. Cauliflower is an excellent source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K and Vitamin B -6, Vitamin B1, B 2, B 3 and Vitamin E. It provides vital minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, manganese. It is a rich source of protein and very low amount of fats.
Cauliflower Dry Curry has " No Onion " or " No Garlic " in it. It is very easy and simple to prepare.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Things Needed :Cauliflower : 1 Bowl (Medium Sized)
Oil : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Jeera/Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Chilly Powder : 1 Teaspoon
Methi Seeds : 4 to 5 Seeds
Ingh/Asafoetida : A pinch
Besan/Gram flour : 2 Teaspoon
Garam Masala Powder : 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Coriander Leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Wash cauliflower nicely and soak in warm water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the warm water. Leave it for 10 minutes.
2. Wash cauliflower again nicely with normal water. Keep it aside.
3. Wash curry leaves and coriander leaves and cut into small.
4. Keep a pan on the fire. Heat and put oil. Add mustard seeds, urid dal and methi seeds. Let mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add jeera/cumin seeds and ingh. Add curry leaves. Mix it well. Add washed cauliflower.
6. Reduce the flame to low. (Not very low). Stir nicely and add a pinch of turmeric powder.
8. Add salt, garam masala, chilly powder and mix it well. Let it cook for 2 minutes. Stir and mix the vegetable nicely.
9. Add 2 teaspoons of dry besan/gram flour/chenna flour on the top and slowly turn the vegetable pieces. Add cut coriander leaves.
10.. Let it cook nicely till golden brown. Now mix all the ingredients nicely and shift the ready cauliflower dry curry to a serving bowl. Serve with a main dish you have prepared.
Note :Use of onions or garlic is optional. Adding any spice is optional. Example : chat masala. rasam/samabar powder, jeera -coriander powder, pav bhaji masala etc.Add of more oil is optional.
Time : 15 Minutes.
Serves : 2 to 3.