Remember that some might get allergy to brinjal and it start itching even while cutting brinjal.
I have used onions, freshly roasted spices and coconut.
The procedure might look long but the taste is yummy and excellent. Give a try and Enjoy....
Potatoes : 2 to 3 ( Small size)
Spices to Roast/fry :
To grate :
To add :
To Season :
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh / Asafoetida : A little
Wash and remove the outer layer of potatoes and wash it again. Just poke in between and make scars on the potatoes.
4. Add cloves, cinnamon, channa dal and urid dal. Roast them till they turn golden brown.
5. Add sesame seeds and fry till they pop up.
9. Grind coconut and fried ingredients with required water, (First dry grind the ingredients, then add water and grind).
10. Remove from the mixi jar and keep it aside.
11. Add little salt to ground mixture.
12. Mix ground mixture with grated mango nicely.
13. Now remove the brinjals from water.
14 Fill in each brinjal with the ground mixture and keep them on a plate/tray.
15. Keep a pan and add 2 tablespoon of oil. Add mustard seeds and little urid dal.
16. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves and ingh. Add onions and fry for a minute.
18. Add the remaining ground mixture. Add required salt, turmeric powder.
19. Add 1/2 Cup of water and cover the pan. (I used pressure cooker). (2 to 3 whistles).
20. Just see that brinjal cooks till soft. Turn the other side slowly after few minutes and cook them till soft. ( I have used a small pressure cooker). If you are using cooker just 2 to 3 whistles will be ok.
21. Shift them to a serving dish and add washed and cut coriander leaves.
22. Serve with the main dish you have prepared.
Do not cut the brinjal fully. Just leave the edge and it is easy to fill the stuffing nicely.
You can dry roast the spices or fry with very little oil. Adding more spices is your choice.
Adding more/less oil is optional. Dry roast the ingredients one by one to get the exact roast.
Adding mango adds to the taste. Adding mango instead of tamarind or lemon is optional.
Adding a little jaggery help the dish to reduce the gas in the dish. I have added some potatoes which turns yummy along with spices.
Adding potatoes is optional. You can try this brinjal stuffed with ready " Vanghibaat powder" or " Birsibele baat powder", instead of fresh roasted spices.
Use of pressure cooker helps to cook Stuffed brinjals easily. (Optional). You can cook on the big pan too. Adding onions and garlic to the dish is optional. ( I have not added garlic).
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.