I have used channa dal/ Kadale bele and moong dal/Hesaru bele with some spices.
Let us see some benefits of using Colocasia Leaves.
Things Needed :
Ingh /Adafoetida : A little
Turmeric powder : 1/4 Teaspoon
Curry leaves : Handful/According to your wish.
Method :1. Wash and soak channa dal and moong dal for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Wash and clean the leaves. Let all the water dry from the leaves.
3. Remove the stem parts (thick veins on the backside of the leaves). Cut into small pieces.
4. Soak tamarind in very little water and let it get soft.
5. Grind dals with tamarind, Rasam powder and jeera. Use very little water.
6. Grind it to rava/semolina (medium size) consistency.
7. Remove from the mixi jar and put it to a big bowl. Add turmeric powder and salt.
8. Mix it well and keep it aside.
9. Keep a pan and put little coconut oil. Add mustard seeds and ingh. Let mustard splutter. Add handful of curry leaves.
10. Add cut colocasia leaves and fry. Now add the ground dal mixture and let it cook till soft.
11. Mix the mixture in between so that it does not get burnt at the bottom. Let it cook on low flame.
12. Let it cook completely. Let all the moisture disappear. Put off the fire and let it get cool down.
13. Keep a pan on the fire and let it get heated. Sprinkle some oil on the top.
14. Take a small portion of the dal - colocasia mixture and shape it as vada and keep on the pan.
15. Sprinkle some oil on the top and let it cook till it get golden red. Turn the other side and cook.
16. Now the Colocasia fritters are ready to serve. You can cook 3 to 4 at times.
17.Repeat the same with remaining dal - colocasia mixture.
Note :Take care of water quantity while grinding the dals. Use of any brand rasam powder is optional.
I have used home prepared rasam powder. Use of tamarind should be taken care or the fritter might give a itching feel while eating. Use only the tender leaves. Use of coconut is optional. I did not use.
Use of cooking oil is optional. I used coconut oil for shallow fry. The quantity of cooking oil is optional. More/less. Use of jaggery is optional. I did not use it. I have used tender stems of colocasia leaves. Remove the outer layer of the stems and then cut into small pieces and use it.
You can use Palak/Spinach, methi leaves or Dil leaves instead of colocasia leaves. Do not add tamarind if you are using these leaves.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 6 to 8 Fritters can be prepared. (According to size ).