Thanks to Jayashree Trao. She has asked us to join her, for posting recipes for Deepavali. It is a good gesture and nature. Thanks Jayashree and I feel very happy to be part of it.
Deepavali is here and the celebration starts. The sweets and savoury dishes pour and you need to start preparing them ahead of the festival. Exchanging/distributing/serving all turns you into world of "JOY".
Once you start preparing sweet the festive moods already starts and the sweet wave brings you happiness around you.
Preparing sweets is fun. Let us keep in mind and prepare some healthy dishes too. Here is such one and I love to prepare these sweet round balls/laddu/Laadu/Unde as it is easy, healthy and quick. These Little Millet Laddu is filled with Healthy nutritions and you can enjoy them at any time of the day.
I have used little millet, jaggery, walnuts, coconut and cardamom. Added some raisins and cashews.
Little millet is one of the millet which is gluten free and loaded with minerals and healthy properties.
It is known as " Same " in Kannada and is a spoken language of Karnataka /India.
Let us see the recipe Now:
Ingredients :Same/Little millet : 2 Cups
Walnuts : 1 Cup
Jaggery : 1 Cup (Powdered)
Cardamom : 6 to 8 pods
Dry coconut /Copra : 1
Cashews and Raisins : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Ghee : 1/2 Cup
Method :1. Clean and dry roast little millet nicely till the raw smell disappear. Let it cool.
2. Cut or grate coconut in to small pieces and dry grind into powder consistency.
3. Remove the cardamom pods and powder the pods.
4. Now dry grind walnuts nicely and keep it aside.
5. Dry grind roasted little millet and cardamom pods and keep it aside.
6. Keep a pan on the fire and put jaggery. Put 1/4 cup of water and let jaggery melt completely.
7. Sieve melted jaggery with a strainer and remove all the dust particles.
8. Put cleaned jaggery mixture in a big pan and let it boil and it starts to bubble up.
9. Stir in between and check for one thread consistency. ( just 2 to 3 minutes after bubbles).
10. Add powdered little millet and stir nicely and let it mix it well. Add powdered walnuts mixture.
11. Mix it well and add coconut mixture and put off the fire.
12. Shift the ready mixture to a big bowl.
11. Keep a small pan on the fire and heat. Put 2 tablespoons of ghee, cashews and raisins.
12. Fry till raisins turn golden brown. Put these ghee fried nuts to little millet mixture.
13. Add remaining ghee and mix it well. Take a small portion of the mixture and prepare laddu.
14. Repeat the same and prepare remaining laddus
15. Arrange them in a tray and let it completely cool.
16. Shift the laddus to an airtight bottle box. Serve as you wish.
Note :Be careful while preparing jaggery syrup consistency. Do not over boil. Laddu turns very hard and is difficult to make into small portions while eating. Prepare it on low and medium flame. Add more ghee if you find hard to prepare laddu. You can also use warm milk instead of ghee but the shelf stay of laddu is short when you use milk. So ghee is a good option. Adding more jaggery is optional. Adding normal coconut instead of dry coconut is optional. Adding ghee helps the laddu to be soft and tasty.
Time : 30 Minutes
Serves : 20 to 25 Laddus/Laadu/Unde.
Sending this above recipe to : for Deepavali sweets