This Shavige Upma/Uppituu/baat is an easy method and you don't have to spend much time in the hectic mornings.
I have used Anil brand Shavige , little jaggery, ghee, oil, rasam powder and vegetable baat powder.
Ready Shavige is available in different sizes and in many brands. I normally use a brand called Anil Shavige which is very comfortable to cook. Preparing Shavige is very easy and you can prepare in many varieties too.
Anil Shavige is prepared using Dhurum Wheat and it helps to provide carbohydrates needed by our body and you stay full for a longer time. Dhurum wheat is said to be filled with fiber and easy to digest.
No Onion or No Garlic Recipe. It is very simple. quick and healthy food.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things Needed :To Cook :
Anil Wheat Shavige ; 2 Cups
Water : 4 Cups
To Season :
Cooking Oil : 2 Tablespoons
Mustard Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 8 to 10
Green chilly : 1
To Add :
Turmeric Powder : A pinch
Jaggery : 1 Tablespoon
Ghee : 2 to 3 Tablespoons
Lemon Juice : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Coconut : 1/2 Cup. (3 to 4 Tablespoons)
Coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
Mayyas Rasam powder : 1 Teaspoon
Mayyas Vanghibaat Powder : 1 Teaspoon
Method :1. Wash and cut green chilly, Curry leaves and coriander leaves. Keep water for boiling. Grate coconut.
2. Keep a pan on the fire and add oil. Let it heat. Add mustard seeds and urid dal.
3. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add curry leaves and cut chilly. (Just slit chilly).
4. Add shavige and fry till it turns golden brown. (Do it on low flame).
5. Add turmeric powder, salt and jaggery. Add boiling water and mix it. Let it cook and get it thick.
6. Add ghee, Mayyas Rasam powder and Mayyas Vanghi baat powder.
7. Stir slowly and let it mix it nicely with cooked shavige. Let all the moisture disappear from shavige.
8. Add 1 teaspoon of lemon extract (lemon juice) and grated coconut.
9. Mix it slowly and put off the fire.
10. Shift Ready to serve Shavige to a serving dish and add cut coriander leaves. Serve with a cup of curd.
Note :Fry Shavige on low flame so that it does not get burnt. Use of more ghee or oil is optional. Use of any brand rasam powder. vanghibath powder is optional. You can use home prepared powders too. Adding onions or any other vegetables is also optional. Use of jaggery is optional. You can use sugar instead of jaggery. (Remember Jaggery is healthy option).
Type : Typical Udupi Style
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.