South Canara and Malanadu area bananas are grown even at homes. At least one or two banana plants do grow and the leaves are used for eating food and when banana is grown and it is cut after ripe/unripe the stem is used in cooking. The flowers also will be used as dry curry /majjige huli./chutney and even leha. ( The Home prepared medicine cum energetic dish done to give for lady after the child is born.
This banana stem is given by our neighbour and I did prepared some dal , chutney, kosumbari etc.
I have used banana stem, little roasted urid dal, red chilly and coconut.
Let us see some benefits of eating Banana Stem.
It is said that every part of banana is packed with nutrition and health benefits. Banana stem helps to detoxify our body. It helps to flushing out toxins from our body. It cleanses our body system and helps in digestion. It is full of fiber and good for healthy bowel movement. It also helps in removing the kidney stones. Drinking banana stem juice helps to prevent the formation of kidney stones. It regulates the cholesterol and blood pressure in our body. Banana stem is rich in Vitamin B6, good amount of iron and helps to improve the haemoglobin count. It has good source of potassium. It helps in regulating acidity levels in our body. Drinking banana stem juice ( add lemon also), provides relief from heartburn and discomfort in our tummy.
It is an easy, simple and healthy chutney goes well with almost all main dishes.
Let us see the reciep now :
Things Needed :To fry :
Coconut/any brand cooking oil : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Tablespoon
Pepper pods : 4 to 5
Methi seeds : 1/4 Tsp
Red chilly (Byadagi chilly) : 5 to 6
Curry leaves : 1 Handful
Ingh : A little
To grind :
Coconut : 1 Cup
Tamarind : 1/2 of one marble size
Cut banana stem pieces : 1 Bowl
Salt : As required
To Season :
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ingh : A little.
Method :1. Wash and remove the inner part of the stem.
2. Cut it as circle and remove the thread form of fiber. ( Roll on the thread around the finger).
3. Cut the circle pieces of banana stem into small pieces after that.
4. Put it in a big bowl of water and let it be there till you grind.
5. Grate coconut and keep it aside
6. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil and urid dal, methi seeds and pepper pods. Fry till they turn golden brown.
7. Add red chilly and fry for a minute. ( On low flame).
8. Add curry leaves and ingh and put off the fire.
9. Put it in a big bowl or tray, so that the fried ingredients cool down.
10. Take a mixi jar and put cooled fried urid dal mixture,
11. Add grated coconut, cut banana stem pieces and add little salt , tamarind and grind it with very little water.
12. Grind till all the ingredients mixes well and your desired consistency. ( Some like it smooth and others bit coarse)
12. Shift the chutney to a serving dish.
13. Add mustard seeds, ingh, curry leaves seasoning and mix it well.
14. Banana Stem Chutney is ready to serve.
13. Serve with a main dish you have prepared.
14. We normally have this Banana Stem Chutney with Plain Rice and little ghee /coconut oil.
Note :No need to cook the pieces. Just grind it along with coconut. You can soak banana stem pieces in butter milk also. (Optional). Adding more/less chilly is optional. It taste better if it is bit spicy. Take care of urid dal while frying/roasting. It should not get burnt or raw. Use of onions or garlic optional. Taste may differ.
Time : 10 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.