Let us see some benefits of brinjal/egg plant in our diet.
Brinjal helps the bones to be strong and prevent osteoporosis. It reduces anemia and improves heart health. It also protect heart health. It helps to manage diabetes by controlling blood sugar level. Brinjals are rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6. magnesium, phosphorous, copper, dietary fiber, folic acid, potassium and manganese. They do not contain cholesterol or saturated fat.
Remember : Do not fry brinjal and it not that good for our body. Some may cause allergic to some.
Let us see the recipe :
Things Needed :To cook :
Brinjal : 4 to 5 (Small and round ones).
Palak leaves : 1 Bundle ( small one )
To add :
Coconut : 1/2 Cup/ 2 to 3 tablespoons
Coriander seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Red chilly : 1
Green chilly : 2
Lemon juice : 1 Tablespoon
Salt : As required
Cut coriander leaves : 2 Tablespoons
To Season :
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingh/Asafoetida : A pinch
Coconut oil : 1 Tablespoon
Method :1. Wash and cut brinjals and put it in a big bowl of water for at least 10 minutes.
2. Wash and cut palak leaves into thin and keep it aside.
3. Wash and cut coriander leaves and keep it aside.
4.Grate coconut and dry grind it with green chilly and coriander seeds. Remove it from the jar.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil and mustard seeds.
6. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add jeera and ingh. Add curry leaves. Add cut brinjals.
7. Mix it nicely and add cut palak leaves. Fry slowly for a minute.
8.Add 1/2 glass of water. Add turmeric powder and mix it well.
9. Let brinjal turn soft. Add salt and mix it well. Let all the moisture disappear.
10. Add ground coconut - coriander seeds mixture and mix it slowly.
11. Cook on low flame for 2 minutes. Mix it in between. Put off the fire and add lemon extract.
12. Mix it nicely and shift it to a serving bowl. Add cut coriander leaves and serve with main dish.
Note :Use of tender brinjal is a must. Adding tamarind pulp (1 tablespoon) instead of lemon extract is optional. Use of jaggery is optional. ( I did not use). Use of coconut oil is optional. ( Any cooking oil will do). Adding more chilly is optional. Adding onions or garlic is optional.
Time : 15 Minutes
Serves : 2 to 3 .