Haalu means milk and this particular sweet dish is prepared using coconut milk and jaggery. Use of coconut is a healthy option and we do get benefit from coconut and coconut milk. It is not only adds taste to the dish you prepare, it adds the healthy properties in it.
Let us see some benefits of having Coconut in our diet.
coconut is referred as Kalpavruksha (means provide the needs of human).
Coconut is one of the wonder food on the earth and it provides multiple health benefits. It helps in lowering cholesterol, healing and stabilizing blood sugar in our body. It is a top immune booster, anti fungal, antibiotic, antiviral and antibacterial remedy for thousands of years. Coconut helps to imporve digestion, stabilize glucose levels, ward off wrinkles, build cells, regulate hormones, fight infections and good for weight loss. Coconut is highly nutritious and rich in fibre. It has vitamin C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 in it. It has minerals like iron, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.
Ragi - Apple Haalubai can be eaten as desert, for kids snack box, breakfast, travelling and kitty parties.
I have used ragi flour, apple, jaggery, cardamom, cinnamon (very little) and some ghee.
Let us see the recipe now.
Things needed :Ragi flour : 2 Cups
Jaggery : 3/4 Cup or little more
Apple : 1 (big size)
Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Cinnamon : Very small pieces.( 1/3 of an inch)
Cardamom : 6 to 8 Pods
Salt : A pinch
Coconut : 1 Cup
Method :1. Grate coconut and grind it nicely with cinnamon and cardamom seeds. (Remove the seeds from the pods and then use it). Let it be paste consistency.
2. Dry roast ragi flour for 2 to 3 minutes on low flame and let it cool.
3. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put jaggery and 1 glass of water. Let jaggery melt completely and starts to boil. Remove from the pan and sieve it.
4. Wash and remove outer peel of an apple. Remove the seeds and hard portion. Cut them into very small pieces.
5. Keep a pan on the fire and add sieved jaggery and ground coconut mixture.
6. Add roasted ragi flour to jaggery mixture and slowly stir. Let it mix well.
7. Keep on stirring till it turn slightly thick. Add a tablespoon of ghee and keep stirring the pudding.
8. Add little ghee in between and stir the haalubai on low flame. It starts to leave the edges of the pan.
9. Add cut apple pieces and let it mix it with ragi coconut mixture nicely. Add little ghee.
10. Stir for another 5 to 8 minutes and pour the dough to a ghee greased tray or plate.
11 Spread it evenly on the plate. Cut it once it is cooled.
12. Serve or eat whenever you want to. Add little ghee on the top of Ragi - Apple Haalubai just before serving.
Note;You can add grated apple instead of pieces. I have added the pieces so that you get a piece while eating haalubai. Adding more ghee is optional. (Remember it does not take much ghee). Use of oil instead of ghee is optional. Taste differ and ghee taste better. Adding any other flavour instead of cinnamon and cardamom is optional. Adding more jaggery is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 25 to 30 pieces. (According to size and shape).
Type : Desert/Sweet/Indian.