I have used cucumber, urid dal, raw rice.
Let us see some benefits of eating Cucumber in our diet.
Cucumber is filled with nutrients. It is good for overall health. Cucumber is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folic acid and it is rich in fiber. This vegetable is rich in minerals like magnesium, potassium and silica. Cucumber is very good for skin health and eye health. It helps to cool the body and mind. Cucumber is for preventing acidity and helps to keep our skin well toned. It helps to prevent constipation. Helps in managing diabetes. Lowers the blood pressure. Helps to reduce the risk of kidney stone. Keeps our body functioning well.
You can prepare dosas with same dosa batter in different ways, like fluffy dosa ( set dosa), crispy dosa and soft dosa) as above shown in the picture.
Lets see the recipe now :
Ingredients :Raw Rice : 2 Cups
Urid Dal : 1/2 Cup
Methi Seeds/Fenugirk Seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Avalakki/Poha/Aval/Flattened rice : 2 Handful
Cucumber : 1 Medium size
Salt : As required
Oil /Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons.
Method :1. Wash and soak rice, urid dal, methi seeds together for 2 to 3 hours. Soak Avalakki separately.
2. Wash and remove the outer layer of cucumber and grind it with all the ingredients.
3. Use very little water to grind. (Cucumber helps to grind the ingredients).
4. Put the ground batter to a big bowl and add salt. Mix it well and let it rest for fermenting.
5. It should be fermented well to get good fluffy dosas. ( Over night or 6 to 7 hours).
6. Mix the batter well. Add water if require and it is ready to prepare dosas.
7. Keep a pan/dosa pan on the fire and heat. Sprinkle some oil and clean it with a kitchen tissue.
8. Take a ladle full of batter and just put it and spread it. ( It should not be pressed while spreading).
9. Add little oil/ghee on the top, cover and cook for a minute on medium flame.
10. Remove the cover and turn the other side of dosa and cook for 10 to 20 seconds.
11. Repeat the same with remaining batter and prepare dosas.
12. Set dosas are ready to serve. Serve with your choice of side dish.
Note :Removing the outer layer of cucumber is optional. The batter should be fermented well to get good fluffy dosas. Adding ghee is optional. Do not make the batter too watery while grinding.
I have not added the cucumber with its cover. Wash it well and dip in plain water for at least 20 minutes before using the cucumber.
Do not add any cooking soda or any other substance like Eno.
Time : Soaking Time : Rice 3 Hours ,
Grinding : 10 minutes in Mixi jar/ 30 minutes or little more in Grinder. (Grate the cucumber and then add cucumber while grinding rice).
Fermenting the batter : 6 to 8 hours /Over Night.
Preparing Dosas : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 5 to 6 . (According to size ).
South Canara Recipe : India : Karnataka : Udupi.