Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :Urid dal : 1 Cup
Little Millet/Same Millet : 1/4 Cup
Green Chilly : 1
Black Pepper Pods : 6 to 8
Cumin Seeds / Jeera : 1/2 Teaspoon
Coriander leaves : 1/2 Bundle /5 to 6 Tablespoons
Ginger : 1 Inch/ 1 Tablespoon (Grated)
Salt : As required
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Gulp Appa Pan and oil or ghee to cook Guli Appa.
Method :1. Wash and soak urid dal for 1 to 2 hours. Wash and soak little millet separately for 2 hours.
2. Wash green chilly, coriander leaves and handful of curry leaves.
3. Now grind urid dal with jeera and black pepper pods with required water. Add curry leaves, green chilly, grated ginger and coriander leaves. Grind it for a few minutes. Remove the fine batter to a big bowl.
4. Add little millet/Saame and grind it. It should be rava/ semolina consistency.
5. Remove from the mixi jar and add it to urid dal batter. Add sal and ingh. Mix it well.
6. Keep guli appa pan on the fire . Add little oil to each mould and let it get heated.
7. Put the ready batter to each guli/deeper place in a pan.
8. Sprinkle some oil to each guli. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on low and medium flame.
9. Turn the other side and cook for a minute.
10. Guli appa is ready to serve. Add little ghee on guli appa just before serving.
11. Repeat the same with remaining batter.
12. We had this Urid dal and Saame Guli Appa with sambar and jaggery.
Note :No need to soak for a longer time. No need of fermentation of the batter. Do not grind the dough very watery. It might spoil the taste and it will not be removed easily from the pan. Adding ghee or butter while cooking Guli Appa is optional. I did added the coriander leaves while grinding and it turned as fine paste along with urid dal batter.Use of oil/ghee is optional while cooking Guli
Appa. Do not add more saame/little millet. Guli appa will be very hard.
Time : Urid dal soaking 2 Hours + Grinding 5 to 10 minutes + preparing Guli Appa 10 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.