The other secret is that you should keep the dough in the fridge at least 10 minutes before you prepare dosa. (After fermentation).
Fox tail millet is full of fiber, energetic and it is one of the siri dhanya/Millet. Millets help us to control blood pressure and is good for people who are suffering from diabetic problem.
Let us see the recipe Now :
Ingredients :Navane/Foxtail millet : 4 Cups
Urid dal : 1 Cup
Methi : 1 Teaspoon
Channa dal : 1 Tablespoon
Toor dal : 1 Tablespoon
Avalakki /Aval/Flattened rice : 2 to 3 Handful /3/4 Cup
Salt : As required
Oil /Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Method :1. Clean and wash Navane /Fox tail millet, methi seeds, avalakki, toor dal, channa dal and urid dal.
2. Grind all the ingredients nicely till paste.( I have used the grinder to prepare the batter).
3. Remove it from the grinder and add salt. Mix it well and let it ferment well. (Over night).
4. Next day morning keep this fermented the fridge for 20 minutes.
5. Take the batter out from fridge and mix it well.
6. Keep tava/dosa pan on the fire. Let it get hot.
7. Reduce the flame. Sprinkle little water on the hot tava and clean it well.
8. Mix dosa batter well and take a ladle of batter and put it on the tava.
9. Spread the batter around the pan and put a teaspoon of oil on the dosa. (Sprinkle oil on the top).
10.Cover and cook dosa for a minute. Turn the other side and cook for a minute. (Optional).
11. Dosa is ready to serve. Serve with your choice of side dish. Repeat the same and prepare the rest of the dosas. (Remaining batter).
12. Add a spoon of fresh ghee just before serving hot dosa.
Note :Do not try to spread dosa batter on very hot tava. It might stick to the pan and the ladle and it will be messy. Decrease the heat by sprinkling some normal water on tava and reduce the flame to low. Clean the tava completely with a kitchen tissue or clean towel. Adjust the batter consistency and pour the batter and spread it slowly
Add little water if the batter is so thick. It should be into running consistency. ( Not very watery). Keep the flame very low while pouring the batter to the pan. Do not add oil first. Spread the dosa batter around and then sprinkle oil. This helps the dosa to be crispy.
Adding little channa dal and toor dal helps the dosa to be crispy. Keeping the ferment batter in the fridge helps in turning dosa very crispy and adds the golden colour.
cooking dosa on one side is optional. ( It gets cooked nicely once you cover the lid while cooking).
Time : Soaking Navane and urid dal 3 hours + grinding 20 minutes + fermentation Over night/5 to 6 hours and dosa preparation 30 Minutes.
Serves : 20 to 25 Dosa.