South Canara people use lots of coconut in their cooking. It is may be because coconut is grown plenty in this region.
Let us see some benefits of eating Coconut.
Coconut is one of the healthy nut/fruit. It is loaded with lots of medicinal value also. Coconut is full of fiber. Coconut oil is the best oil to use for our cooking. Coconut oil is good for our hair and skin. Coconut provides energy and it helps in controlling our cholesterol level. It has good anti aging qualities. It is a good antibiotic properties. It is rich in anti inflammation properties. Coconut is rich in copper, iron, manganese, magnesium and calcium.
Let us see the recipe Now :
I have used raw rice, a little urid dal and moong dal, flattened rice and methi seeds. Some coonut is used and it adds to the aroma of the dosa.
Kayi Dosa is one of the special dish of Udupi /South Canara. We use coconut and it is called coconut dosa.
Things Needed :Raw Rice : 2 Cups
Urid dal : 2 Tablespoons
Moong Dal : 1 Tablespoon
Fresh grated coconut : 1 Cup / 4 to 5 tablespoons
Avalakki /Aval /Poha /Flattened Rice : 3 Tablespoons
Methi Seeds /Fenugrik seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Salt : As required
Oil /Ghee : 3 to 4 Tablespoons
Guli Appa Pan
Method :1. Wash and soak raw rice, moong dal, urid dal and methi seeds for 2 to 3 hours. Soak avalakki/flattened rice separately.
2. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
3. Drain water from soaked rice, methi seeds, dals and grind it with coconut and flattened rrice/avalakki.
5. Let it ferment over night or 6 to 8 hours.
6. In the morning Mix the batter nicely and get ready to prepare guli appa and pan prepared dosa.
7. Keep Guli appa pan on the fire. Let it get hot. Add little oil to each guli /deep.
8. Now take a small ladle and put the batter to each guli/ deeper part. Cook on medium and low flame.
9. Cook on both sides and remove it from the pan. Repeat the same and prepare remaining guli appa.
Note :No need to add more avalakki/poha. Do not add much water while grinding. It should be like idli batter. Adding coconut adds to the taste and softness of guli appa. You can prepare Banagalu/pan dosas./ Set dosas with the same batter. Use of ghee instead of oil is optional.
Time : Soaking time 3 Hours + Fermentation 5 to 6 hours and Guli appa preparation 30 Minutes.
Serves : As you Desired.
Pan dosa :
Use the same batter and prepare Pan dosas..These are known as Kayi/Coconut Dosa in South Canara/Udupi /My doddamma's house.