I just tried with this curry it is one of the yummy side dish as I said it earlier. It is bit spicy and you can reduce the chilly if are very mild spice eater.
The brinjal here is known as " Mattina Gulla " a special type of brinjal/egg plant which grows only in a place called " Mattu ", and the seeds are given and blessed by Udupi Matt Swamiji Shree Vadiraja Swamy. People were very poor and they went and prayed Vadirajaru Swami. This happened in Vadiraja Swamiji's time. The taste of the gulla /badane / kattarikai/egg plant grown in Mattu is definitely tasty and you do not find this quality of Gulla.
I have done Gulla - Avarekai Curry in one of my previous post.
Here it is some thing different with Sprouted Moong and Brinjal and the spice used here bit different and you definitely get these spices in your kitchen store.
Let us see the recipe :
No Onion OR No Garlic is used in this Sprouted Moong and Brinjal Gasi/Curry
Things Needed :Brinjal /Gulla /Egg plant : 2 to 3
Sprouted Moong : 1 Bowl
Gasi Powder : 1 Tablespoons
Coconut : 1 Small cup\
Tamarind : A marble size or little less
Turmeric Powder : A pinch
Salt : As required
To Season :
Coconut Oil : 1 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Ingh /Asafoetida : A pinch
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8 leaves
Method :1. Cook sprouted moong for 3 to 4 minutes and keep it aside. ( Do not over cook ).
2. Wash and cut brinjal and soak in bowl of water for 5 minutes.
3. Grate coconut and keep it aside.
4. Soak tamarind and squeeze out the pulp.
5. Now keep a pan and put a glass of water. Let it boil.
6. Add brinjal pieces to boiling water.
7. Cook till they turn soft. Add cooked moong and mix it well. Add tamarind pulp.
8. Add salt and turmeric powder. Let it boil.
9. Grind coconut and spice powder with required water.
10. Add ground coconut mixture to brinjal - sprouted moong. Mix it well.
11. Let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Shift the ready gasi to a serving dish.
12. Add coconut oil seasoning with mustard seeds, ingh/Asafoetida and curry leaves.
13. Serve as a one of the side dish for lunch or any other main dish.
14. Use of coriander leaves is optional.
Note :Do not cook moong sprout much. Use of any cooking oil is optional.
I have used Gasi /Thick Curry powder. You can fry fresh spices and then grind it to get fresh aroma.
Time : 30 Minutes
Gasi Powder :
Channa dal : 1 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1 Teaspoon
Coriander seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Methi Seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Jeera /Cumin seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Byadagi chilly : 5 to 6
Method Dry roast or fry with a teaspoon of coconut oil on medium flame till slightly brown. Put off the fire and let it cool. Dry grind and store or use it on the same day. ( It is better to use fresh fried spices).