We have mango trees in Our Birthimane (name of the area near Brahmavar / Udupi, my father in law's house). Normally during the mango season we do get good mangoes. Even the same mangoes are used for pickle. This tree gives yummy mangoes. I do bring them here and prepare so many dishes from it.
These wild mangoes are bit savoury in taste and I used lots of JONI/liquid form of jaggery to it and prepared Sweet Mango Gojju.
This Sweet Mango Gojju taste sweet and good to have as one of the side dish with idli, poori, chapati, dosa, guli appa and bread.
I have squeeze out pulp from mango fruits, used that with jaggery, pepper and green chilly. Mango seeds/ಓಟೆ are dipped in the curry. It is very nice to have the seeds and enjoy having juice in them.
No Onion or Garlic is used in this Recipe. This is one of new creation from old traditional taste.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things needed :Wild Mangoes : 10 to 12
Jaggery : 1/2 Cup. (Powdered)
Pepper Pods : 5 to 6
Green chilly : 2
Salt : As required
For Seasoning :
Coconut Oil : 1 Teaspoon
Mustard seeds : 1 Teaspoon
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Methi Seeds : 5 to 6
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8.
Method :1. Wash and clean all the mangoes. Wipe out all the moisture from mangoes and keep it aside.
2. Powder jaggery. Wash green chlliy and cut in to halves. Slit them in middle.
3. Now squeeze out the pulp from all the mangoes. Do not add any water.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put 1 tsp of coconut oil, mustard seeds and methi /Fengrik seeds.
5. Let mustard seeds splutter. Add ingh / Asafoetida, curry leaves and fry nicely till the leaves get crispy. Add mango pulp.
6. Add required salt and jaggery. Add turmeric powder and mix the curry well.
7. Add crushed pepper and slit green chilly. Let it boil for 5 to 6 minutes or little more.
8. Let the curry mix it well with jaggery and boil till it gets slightly thick.
9. Put off the fire and leave it to cool. Shift Sweet Mango Gojju to a serving dish.
10. Serve with the main dish of your choice.
Note :You can add cut chilly to seasoning and fry nicely. Adding pepper to the curry helps to digest the
Adding more / less jaggery is optional. Do not use much oil. It might give a bad adore later.
Adding more green chilly is optional. Use of curry leaves is optional.
Time 20 Minutes.