Tondekai/tindli, Tindoora, Kowai por Kowekai as it is called in different Indian Language.I have used Tondekai, rasam powder, jaggery and dry ground coconut mixture.
Let us see some benefits of Tondekai/Tendli/Kowekai in our diet.
Ivy gourd /Tondekai helps to regulate the blood sugar level. it helps in preventing obesity because it is rich in anti obesity properties. It helps in improving digestion. It cures diseases because it is rich in anti oxidant properties. It protects against allergies. Tondekai helps to cure infections. It helps in increasing metabolism in our body. It prevents kidney stones.it helps in curing anemia since it is filled with iron. It is rich in minerals and vitamins. It has minerals like iron,potassium and calcium, It is rich in vitamin B 1, and B 2.
The fruits of Ivy gourd are used as traditional medicine in Ayurveda for several diseases and infections. The leaves are used for treating fever, bronchitis, jaundice and osteoarthritis.
No Onion - No Garlic Tondekai Palya/Dry Curry.
It is simple, quick, yummy and healthy.
You must use tender Tondekai .
Ingredients :Tondekai : 1250 Gr.
To Add :
Rasam Powder : 2 Teaspoons full.
Coconut : 1/2 Cup
Green chilly : 1
Salt : As required
Coriander Leaves : 2 Tbs
Jaggery : 1 Teaspoon
Coconut Oil : 1 Tablespoon
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Urid dal : 1/2 Teaspoon
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Method :1. Wash and cut tondekai and keep it aside.
2. Grate cocontu and dry grind it. Keep it aside.
3. Wash green chilly and slit, wash curry leaves, coriander leaves and cut into small pieces.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add oil, mustard seeds and urid dal. Let mustard seeds splutter.
5. Add curry leaves and slit green chilly.
6. Add cut tondekai and mix it nicely. Add little water and cook till it turns soft.
7. Tondekai should be cooked till soft. Then you add salt and little turmeric powder.
8. Add rasam powder, jaggery and mix all the ingredients nicely.
9. Add dry ground coconut and mix it well. Let it cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
10. Mix it and check all the moisture is disappear. Shift the Tondekai Palya to a serving dish.
11. Add cut coriander leaves.
12. Serve as one of the side dish and enjoy.
Note :You can cook tondekai in pressure cooker for 2 minutes and then add it to seasoning done.
Use of Onions and garlic is optional.
Use of jaggery is optional.
Tondekai has little bit of tangy taste. So no need to use any lemon, tamarind, or any other tangy extract.
Use of coconut is optional. It adds to the taste.
I have used MTR Rasam Powder. Use of any brand of spice is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.