Here is a yummy curry using Snake Gourd /Padavala Kai (in Kannada language).
I have used Snake gourd, moong dal, green chilly, ginger and milk.
It simple, quick, easy, delicious and very mild.
Snake gourd is known as Padwal/Chichinda in Hindi, Padavala Kai in Kannada/ Karnataka, Pudavalana in Malayalam/Kerala, Pudalankaai in Tamil/Tamil Nadu and Potlakkaya in Telugu/Andra Pradesh.
Let us see some benefits of Having Snake Gourd in our diet.Snake Gourd is known for its medicinal values and health benefits in Ayurveda from Ancient periods.
Snake gourd supplies plenty of nutrition to our body. It is filled with water content and helps to cool our body. It is good for heart health and loaded with vitamins and minerals.
Snake gourd has very low calories and zero cholesterol. It is good for people who diet for weight loss. It is full of dietary fiber and digested easily. It is good for diabetes. Snake gourd is helps to remove the toxins from our body. Snake gourd is full of fiber and helps to prevent constipation and regulate the bowel movements. Snake gourd is rich in antioxidants. It helps to strengthen respiratory process in our body. It is good for hair, skin and hair growth.
There is no Onion or No Garlic in this Snake Gourd Moong Dal Curry.
This simple curry is good for all age group.It is yummy, easy, quick and delicious.
Let us see the recipe :
Ingredients :To Cook :
Moong dal : 1/2 Cup
Snake gourd : 1 Small size
Green chilly : 2 to 3
Ginger : An inch
Methi seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
To Add :
Salt : As required
Turmeric powder : A pinch
Coriander leaves : 1 Tablespoon
Boiled Milk : 1/2 Cup
Besan /Channa flour : 1/2 Tsp
Lemon : 1 Tsp. (1/2 lemon).
To Season :
Mustard Seeds : 1 Tsp
Jeera /Cumin Seeds : 1/2 Tsp
Curry Leaves : 5 to 6
Ghee : 1 Tbs
Ingh/Asafoetida : A little
Method :1. Wash and cut Snake gourd. Remove the pulp and seeds. Cut into small pieces. Keep it aside.
3. Wash and peel off the outer layer of ginger, wash again and grate it.
4. Wash curry leaves, coriander leaves cut into small pieces. Wash and slit green chilly.
5. Put snake gourd pieces, moog dal, slit green chilly, grated ginger, 1/2 tsp of methi seeds and 1/2 cup of water in a pressure cooker and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
6. Let it cool. Take out the cooker lid, add little turmeric powder and required salt. Mix it well.
7. Add little water and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Add boiled milk and 1/2 tsp of besan/channa flour and mix it nicely. Cook for 2 minutes.
9. Put off the gas and add 1/2 lemon extract, Ghee seasoned mustard seeds, jeera, ingh and curry leaves and mix it well.
10. Shift Snake Gourd - Moong Dal Curry to a serving dish and serve as one of the side dish.
Note :Adding more chilly is optional. Adding methi seeds is optional. Use of besan is optional.
Ghee adds to the taste. Adding any spice is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4 .