Cow pea season is here and lots of fresh cow peas available in market in most of the places.
It is always better to use seasonal pods to get good nutrients from the pods.
I have used cow peas, bottle gourd and carrot. Used some fresh fried spices which is always there in the kitchen store.
Let us see some benefits of eating Cow Peas in our diet.Cow peas are low in cholesterol, saturated fat and sodium. They are good source of protein. They are rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, copper and manganese. Cow Peas is rich in fiber.
Cow peas is rich in magnesium and it is good for controlling our sugar level. It also take care of metabolism of our body. It helps our digestive system to be healthy. It helps to control our blood pressure and take care of it. Cow peas helps in loosing the extra weight and good for people who suffer from anemia. Eating cow peas is good for our skin health. It is good for our bones.
Let us see the recipe now :
No Onion or No Garlic Curry.
Try and enjoy the taste of Cow Pea & Bottle Gourd Curry.
Things needed :To Cook :
Cow Peas : 1 Bowl (250 Gr)
Bottle Gourd : 1/2 (1/2 From medium sized bottle gourd)
Carrot : 1
To Fry :
Urid dal : 1 Tablespoon.
Red Byadagi chilly : 5 to 6
Ingh /Asafoetida : A little
Pepper Pods : 5 to 6
Curry Leaves : 6 to 8
Coconut : 1 Small cup
Coconut Oil : 1 Tsp
To Grind :
Tamarind : Small marble size
Fried and cooled mixture.
To add :
Salt : As required
Seasoning : Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon, ingh : a pinch, Curry leaves : 5 to 6 with coconut oil.
Method :1. Remove the pods from Cow Peas and wash it nicely.
2. Wash and remove the outer layer of bottle gourd and carrot. Cut them in to small pieces.
3. Pressure cook cow pea, bottle gourd and carrots with required water for 5 to 6 minutes. Put off the fire and let it cool.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add a ts of coconut oil.
5. Put urid dal and fry till they turn slightly golden brown. Add byadagi chilly, pepper pods and fry.
6. Add ingh and curry leaves. Mix it well and put off the fire. Add coconut. Let it cool.
7. Grind fried ingredients with tamarind and required water.
8. Grind into fine paste.
9. Keep cooked vegetables on fire. Add salt and little turmeric powder. Mix it and boil for a minute.
10. Add ground coconut mixture to the boiling vegetables and mix it nicely. Add water if required.
11. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in between so that it does not get burnt.
12. Shift the Cow Pea & Bottle Gourd Curry to a serving dish.
13. Add mustard seasoning done in coconut oil.
14. Serve for lunch or with any main dish of your choice.
Note :Do not over cook the vegetables. Adding more chilly is optional. Use of coconut oil is optional.
Use of coconut more or less is optional. Do not boil more after you add ground coconut mixture. 2 to 3 minutes is more than enough.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves : 3 to 4.