Ragi & Nuts Laddu has lots of dates, almonds, cashews, little figs and very little ghee. I have also used fresh rose petals which we get from our home garden. It has turned the laddu very tasty.
I tried these laddu for taking it for travelling and also packed some to give it for my sisters. Laddu is good to bite at any time of the day and provides good energy to stay cheerful whole day.
Let us see some benefits of eating dates in our diet.Dates are very nutritious. They are a source of antioxidants. They can help to reduce blood pressure.
Dates are good for brain health.They are good for bone health. They are rich in fiber. They are rich in antioxidants. They help in controlling the blood sugar level. They are good natural sweetener.
No Sugar or jaggery added in this Ragi&Nuts Laddu.
It is good for any age group. Good to pack for kids snack, ladies day out, travel and picnics.
Used a pack of dates instead of sugar or jaggery.
Let us see the recipe now :
Ingredients :Ragi flour : 1/2 Cup
Dates : 500 Grams.
Almonds : 1/2 Cup.(20 to 25).
Cashews : 2 Tbs
Coconut : 1 Cup (5 to 6 tbs).
Rose petals : 2 Rose flowers.
Gasagase/ Poppy Seeds : 1 Tbs full.
Figs : 3 to 4
Ghee : 2 Tablespoons
Method :1. Take out the seeds from dates and put it in a pan. Keep on the fire and stir slowly. As you stir, hot dates turn soft. You must do it on low flame, so that it does not get burnt.
2. Grate coconut. Cut almonds and cashews in to small pieces.
3. Dry roast 1/2 cup of Ragi flour and put it in a big bowl.
4. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Add dates and stir slowly till they turn soft.
5. Put off the fire and take out the dates to a big bowl.
6. Add grated coconut to a pan and dry roast. Add poppy seeds and roast for a minute.
7. Take it out and put it to a big bowl. Cut figs into small pieces and add it to dates mixture.
8. Just stir rose petals in that hot pan. (No need to be kept on fire). Add this to a big bowl).
9. Now kneed dates nicely.
10. now add roasted coconut, poppy seeds, cut almonds and mix it slowly while you kneed dates.
11. Keep a pan on the fire and heat. Put 2 tbs of ghee and fry cashews nicely till it turns golden brown.
12. Add this fried cashews with ghee to dates bowl and kneed it again to get good form of sweet ball.
13. See that all the ingredients mixes well.
14. Take a handful of the mixture and make laddu. Laddu is ready to serve.
15. Serve or eat as you like and keep the rest in a box.
When you stir dates it turns soft and it is easy to smash it to soft texture. No sugar or jaggery is added here. You can powder almonds and add it to the Laddu. Adding pieces of almonds taste better. (Optional). Adding coconut is optional.
Time : 30 Minutes.
Serves 30 Laddus can be prepared. ( According to the size you want).