It is an easy dish, loaded with healthy spices like ginger, curry leaves, coriander leaves and green chilly.
It can be done as soon as you grind the batter. No need to be fermented.
Let us see some benefits of having Urid dal in our diet.
Urid dal is protein rich and steaming is one of the healthiest way to have good food.
Urid dal is filled with fiber. It is easy to digest and improve our digestive health. It protects heart and boost energy. It improves our bone health. Strengthen our nervous system. It is good for our skin and hair. Urid dal contains good amout of vitamins and minerals. It helps in boosting our metabolism.
It is rich in vitamin B, folic acid, iron, and calcium. It does contain magnesium and potassium.
No Onion or No Garlic is used in this Urid dal Kadubu.
Let us see the recipe now :
Things Needed :
Urid dal : 1 to 1 1/2 cups
Raw Rice : 1 Handful
Banana Leaves : 5 to 6 pieces.
Ginger : 1 Tablespoon
Green chilly : 1
Curry Leaves : 10 to 12 leaves
Coriander leaves : 1 Handful
Coconut pieces : 3 to 4 Tbs
Salt : As required
Method :1. Wash and soak urid dal and rice separately for 2 to 3 Hours.
2. Wash and cut coriander leaves, curry leaves.
3. Wash ginger and remove the outer layer and grate it.
4. Cut coconut pieces and keep it aside.
5. Drain water from soaked urid dal and grind it with required water. Let it be fine paste.
6. Add rice and coconut pieces and grind it in rava consistency.
7. Remove it from the mixi jar and put it to a big bowl.
8. Add required salt, cut coriander leaves, curry leaves, grated ginger and cut green chilly.
9. Mix all the ingredients nicely.
10. Wash banana leaves and put a spoon of Urid dal batter to each leaf.
11. Fold them and arrange them in a plate.
12. Keep a idli cooker or pressure cooker on fire and put some water in it. Let the water boil.
13. Arrange the folded banana leaves in a cooker plate and close the lid.
14. Cook for 30 to 35 minutes on medium and flame.
15. Take out the lid and check whether the kadubu is done. Take out from the cooker and arrange on a big plate.
16. Serve them with coconut chutney and ghee.
Note :Do not use much water to grind. Adding more chilly is optional. I have not added any cooking soda or eno. Adding coconut pieces adds to the taste. Rice should be ground into rava consistency. or Kadubu turns very hard.
Time : Cooking time 30 Minutes + Soaking time 2 to 3 hours.
Serves : 2 to 3.